CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

Something Borrowed

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Something Borrowed Empty Something Borrowed

Post by Shale Sun May 08, 2011 12:08 am

Something Borrowed
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    May 7, 2011

This romantic comedy is roundly panned by the critics but enjoyed by two-thirds of audiences. You can go check the critics for all the story faults, one-sided characters etc. but it was a good piece of matinee fluff to get involved in.

The premise is sort of a stretch. Dex (Colin Egglesfield) and Rachel (Ginnifer Goodwin) meet in law school and become study partners and friends. They are out one night and just about to make intimate hand contact across the table when Darcy (Kate Hudson), Rachel's BFF drops by and sits with them. Darcy is outgoing and grabs what she wants while Rachel is more subdued and retreats and allows Darcy to take over the man she was getting feelings for.

Darcy Takes Dex
    Something Borrowed 75645_gal

Now, Darcy and Dex are about to be married and as her lifelong best friend, Rachel is involved in the wedding prep. She hangs out with another mutual friend, Ethan (John Krasinski) who has this uncanny way of knowing what is going on with her and is quite protective.

With all the preparation centered on Darcy and the wedding the NY friends hang out together on weekends at The Hamptons.

Friends - Ethan, Rachel, Darcy & DexSomething Borrowed 72410_gal

All are very close and in a slightly inebriated moment, Rachel lets Dex know that she had feelings for him in college. He did likewise but neither ever expressed it. The two of them end up in bed that night, so here is the conflict of the story.

Rachel and Dex should be the couple, not Darcy and Dex. But, how to solve this, as Darcy considers Rachel her sister. There seems to be no solution but in the meantime Rachel and Dex meet to find one.

Rachel & Dex Borrow Each Other
    Something Borrowed 75475_gal

Complicating sub plots include Ethan's "best friend" relationship with Rachel and Dex's friend Marcus (Steve Howey), who is one of those asses you see coming from across the dance floor but can never duck out quick enuf.

Dex Introduces Marcus (The Caveman)
    Something Borrowed 75468_gal

It is one of those rom/coms that solve all the issues by the end of the movie but subplots muddy how those issues resolve. The problem is complex, altho the characters are not, so you can't get too invested in their problem even tho you feel one exists. This would have made a better serious drama than a romantic comedy - but then I wouldn't have gone to see it. Smile

Last edited by Shale on Mon May 09, 2011 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix Sumthin)
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Something Borrowed Empty Re: Something Borrowed

Post by JWF Sun May 08, 2011 4:00 pm

My lady friend forced me under duress to take in this film (loll). IMO...this is about as silly and rattledbrained of a rom-com as I've ever seen. The only other note I might add: Kate Hudson is on par with Jennifer Aniston for the most ugly tasteless scripts.

You want to see a date movie take in "Last Night", with Keira Knightley. It's not always passable, but at least, the relationships are believable.

Jack

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:57 pm