CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
RiteDiva
Alan Smithee
CeCe
Chris
8 posters

Parents who open accounts in their kids names

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Parents who open accounts in their kids names Empty Parents who open accounts in their kids names

Post by Chris Thu May 12, 2011 8:08 am

There was a story on the news yesterday about a two year old who was now in debt and being sued, because his parents opened some account in his name. What's your opinion of parents opening accounts in their kids name, because their own credit is so messed up?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Parents who open accounts in their kids names Empty Re: Parents who open accounts in their kids names

Post by CeCe Thu May 12, 2011 8:15 am

I don't like it at all. It isn't fair to the child. I know things happen sometimes that aren't necessarily the parents fault. But I do think a lot of the time it is because of irresponsibility. I don't understand why they don't check for some kind of proof of age just to protect themselves, because that would stop some of it. And the ones who falsify the information would be guilty of fraud.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Parents who open accounts in their kids names Empty Re: Parents who open accounts in their kids names

Post by Alan Smithee Thu May 12, 2011 8:21 am

CeCe wrote:I don't like it at all. It isn't fair to the child. I know things happen sometimes that aren't necessarily the parents fault. But I do think a lot of the time it is because of irresponsibility. I don't understand why they don't check for some kind of proof of age just to protect themselves, because that would stop some of it. And the ones who falsify the information would be guilty of fraud.
    co-signs I think the child's credit should be cleared and the debt transfered to the parent. Even if the child is now an adult. Let them work it out between themselves if the child is willing to pay the debt but legally it should be on the parent.
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by RiteDiva Thu May 12, 2011 8:51 am

It's credit fraud and should be handled the same way it would be if it were another adults credit they were tampering with. No caring, responsible parent will screw with their child's credit in such a way.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Thu May 12, 2011 11:16 am

It's a very sleazy thing to do but desperate times call for desperate measures. I would hope any parent who does this would at least try and be on time with payments so that there won't be any accounts going into default on their kids credit, while trying to straight out their OWN credit problems. But I know that's naive.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu May 12, 2011 6:16 pm

It's ghetto as hell. I knew several kids with phones and light bills in their names, lol.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri May 13, 2011 11:25 am

I don't know how it is even possible these days with everything recorded. I would think ssn's show creditors who is a minor and who is not.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri May 13, 2011 12:42 pm

Chris wrote:There was a story on the news yesterday about a two year old who was now in debt and being sued, because his parents opened some account in his name. What's your opinion of parents opening accounts in their kids name, because their own credit is so messed up?

A parent that would do that is more messed up than their credit is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 11:15 pm