CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Tony Marino
Forgiveness Man
Nhaiyel
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Chris
9 posters

ABC Cancels 'Brothers & Sisters,' 'V,' 'Off the Map,' 'No Ordinary Family' & 'Detroit 187'

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

ABC Cancels 'Brothers & Sisters,' 'V,' 'Off the Map,' 'No Ordinary Family' & 'Detroit 187' Empty ABC Cancels 'Brothers & Sisters,' 'V,' 'Off the Map,' 'No Ordinary Family' & 'Detroit 187'

Post by Chris Sun May 15, 2011 9:31 am

ABC is on a roll.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/13/abc-cancels-brothers-and-sisters-v-off-the-map/
    ABC Cancels 'Brothers & Sisters,' 'V,' 'Off the Map,' 'No Ordinary Family' & More, Renews 'Happy Endings,' 'Body of Proof'
    by Jean Bentley, posted May 13th 2011 4:20PM

ABC Cancels 'Brothers & Sisters,' 'V,' 'Off the Map,' 'No Ordinary Family' & 'Detroit 187' V-250x300

That thunderous pop you just head was the sound of ABC dropping pretty much every single one of its bubble shows at once.

The network has reportedly canceled most of its lowest-rated series, including veterans 'Brothers & Sisters' and 'V' as well as newbies 'Off the Map,' 'No Ordinary Family,' 'Detroit 187,' 'Better With You' and 'Mr. Sunshine.'

Though it was speculated recently that 'Brothers & Sisters' could get an abridged season pickup, it turns out that star Rachel Griffiths' jokes about being unemployed are true after all. The fifth season -- now series -- finale aired last Sunday night.

Meanwhile, the second season (and now series) finale of 'V' aired back in March.

As for the five freshmen series, none of them made a big enough impression, ratings-wise, for ABC to justify keeping them on the schedule (although 'Better With You' did make an impressive last-minute push with a 19 percent increase in ratings for the season finale).

On a brighter note, those seven vacant slots on the schedule have made room for ABC to pick up nine new shows, including a 'Charlie's Angels' reboot, a new Tim Allen sitcom, 'Good Christian Bitches' (now 'Good Christian Belles') and more. The network has also renewed 'Shark Tank' for a third season.

And then there's the two newbie shows that did make it -- the comedy 'Happy Endings' and drama 'Body of Proof.' Both shows haven't been the highest rated, but the buzz (and genuine hilarity) surrounding 'Happy Endings' and the strong cast of 'Body of Proof' (anchored by Dana Delany and Jeri Ryan) seemed to help save them for a second season.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

ABC Cancels 'Brothers & Sisters,' 'V,' 'Off the Map,' 'No Ordinary Family' & 'Detroit 187' Empty Re: ABC Cancels 'Brothers & Sisters,' 'V,' 'Off the Map,' 'No Ordinary Family' & 'Detroit 187'

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun May 15, 2011 9:49 am

GOD DAMN IT.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

ABC Cancels 'Brothers & Sisters,' 'V,' 'Off the Map,' 'No Ordinary Family' & 'Detroit 187' Empty Re: ABC Cancels 'Brothers & Sisters,' 'V,' 'Off the Map,' 'No Ordinary Family' & 'Detroit 187'

Post by Nhaiyel Sun May 15, 2011 11:19 am

thumbs down I can't believe they canceled Brothers and Sisters.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun May 15, 2011 11:42 am

Watching it now. sad Miss it already.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun May 15, 2011 2:44 pm

I'll miss V and that's about it. Most of these did so poorly that it's no surprise and B&S was barely above water this year.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun May 15, 2011 4:43 pm

I'm glad that Brothers & Sisters ended on a high note. Although I kind of wish Holly could have made a reappearance.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon May 16, 2011 11:14 am

I watched Brothers and Sisters from the beginning but last season I realized it had run out of Steam. I watched all of this season until the Nora and Beau Bridges coupling. It has become boring and repetitious. It was a great show for the first 3 years it was on IMO. I will miss it, I was not too happy when Holly left the show.
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 10

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Mon May 16, 2011 12:02 pm

They need to add Desperate Housewives to that list.

Out with the old, in with the new.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon May 16, 2011 12:13 pm

I'm disappointed they cancelled Detroit 187. It tended to beat The Parenthood in the ratings, and yet I think The Parenthood was renewed. ABC is such a cancel-happy network. They don't give shows time enough to find an audience; it has to start out being a ratings monster out of the gate, else it won't last.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon May 16, 2011 12:15 pm

^^^^It's ratings were down there with Parenthood's. But it doesn't matter what it BEAT. NBC doesn't have much doing any better than Parenthood, and Parenthood did okay demographically. So NBC renewed it. Detroit didn't have good numbers and ABC felt it could do better. Considering V was canceled, we shouldn't have expected Detroit to survive.

DanaShelbyChancey wrote:They need to add Desperate Housewives to that list.

Out with the old, in with the new.
    Why cancel a show still pulling in decent ratings? It's too soon to cancel DH given that it's still among their highest performing scripted shows. Until it either falls further or they get something better, they'd be fools to can it.

Last edited by Forgiveness Man on Mon May 16, 2011 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon May 16, 2011 12:17 pm

DH is still in the top 20, they won't pull it just yet.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Mon May 16, 2011 9:22 pm

I didn't watch it religiously, but I liked No Ordinary Family. It was interesting and semi-funny about a family with superhuman powers and abilities. Maybe a little too hokey for regular ABC, but I can see it on ABC Family.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun May 22, 2011 12:48 am

ABC gives me less and less reason to watch. I'm down to two shows - Desperate Housewives and OLTL. Once Trevor leaves OLTL, I'll be down to just DH. I think ABC is going to be sinking faster than the Titanic, with the way they've getting ride of shows. Wonder how long before the network is bought up by another one.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun May 22, 2011 3:43 am

They didn't cancel Wipeout did they? And what's Brothers and Sisters?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun May 22, 2011 10:11 am

Jason B. wrote:I didn't watch it religiously, but I liked No Ordinary Family. It was interesting and semi-funny about a family with superhuman powers and abilities. Maybe a little too hokey for regular ABC, but I can see it on ABC Family.
    The ratings just weren't there. Below 5 million regularly by the end? Not exactly good for the 8PM slot.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun May 22, 2011 10:26 am

Tony Marino wrote:I watched Brothers and Sisters from the beginning but last season I realized it had run out of Steam. I watched all of this season until the Nora and Beau Bridges coupling. It has become boring and repetitious. It was a great show for the first 3 years it was on IMO. I will miss it, I was not too happy when Holly left the show.

The start of this past season was terrible. It had some moments (Kevin's breakdown-- or was that last season?), but I think it picked up towards the end. I like the storyarch involving Michelle. I wish they had explored it more.

And yeah, wtf, Holly... she was my favorite character.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon May 23, 2011 4:06 am

The story line I really liked was Kevin and Scotty's adoption of Olivia. It was a cute storyline and I liked how the show handled it.

I was never a big fan of Holly, so I wasn't all that sorry to see her go.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:06 am