CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
CeCe
Chris
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Marc™
8 posters

Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg: 'Let children under 13 use my website'

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg: 'Let children under 13 use my website' Empty Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg: 'Let children under 13 use my website'

Post by Marc™ Thu May 26, 2011 4:03 pm

Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg: 'Let children under 13 use my website'
    By Chris Greenwood

Last updated at 4:56 PM on 25th May 2011

The founder of Facebook says he will ‘fight’ to allow under-13s to use the social networking website – despite warnings it would put the most vulnerable children at risk.

At present, those under 13 are banned from Mark Zuckerberg’s site in Britain under a voluntary ‘good practice’ code.

In America the age limit, also of 13, is dictated by laws designed to protect young children, but Facebook’s 27-year-old billionaire creator believes the educational benefits of using the site mean the restrictions should be lifted.

Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg: 'Let children under 13 use my website' Article-1390443-0C3EC5FB00000578-103_468x286
    Target: Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg wants to allow under 13's to use Facebook and other social networking sites

His comments sparked a furious response from the family of 17-year-old Ashleigh Hall, of Darlington, County Durham, who was lured to her death by Peter Chapman after he posed as a teenage boy on Facebook.

Her grandfather, Mike Hall, said: ‘What do they want, another tragedy before they do anything? They do not take any notice.

‘It is scandalous really. If they had gone through what we have gone through they would understand. They say they have all these safety features, but to allow under-13s on the site is ridiculous. It just beggars belief.’

Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg: 'Let children under 13 use my website' Article-1390443-0C3EC64500000578-251_233x423
    Lucrative: The under 13 market is a prime target for advertisers, and bringing them onto social networking sites would prove a boon for the companies involved

Facebook has been repeatedly attacked for its poor online security in the face of appalling cases involving bullies, criminals and sexual predators turning it to their advantage.

Last year the site refused to install a ‘panic button’ for children to alert police to paedophiles, before eventually relenting, while Mr Zuckerberg was branded ‘a disgrace’ after saying concerns over online privacy were blown out of proportion.

The site, which has more than 600 million users worldwide, says it actively polices profiles to ensure under-13s are unable to register. However, last month a report claimed one in five British children aged between nine and 12 has a Facebook page, while more than seven million under-13s use the site worldwide.

Mr Zuckerberg revealed his plans at a summit on innovation in California schools. When asked if he wanted under-13s to be allowed to use the site, he said: ‘That will be a fight we take on at some point.

‘My philosophy is that for education you need to start at a really, really young age.

‘Because of the restrictions we haven’t even begun this learning process. If they’re lifted then we’d start to learn what works.’

Claude Knights, director of child protection charity Kidscape, said allowing under-13s into ‘the more adult world of Facebook’ would lead to a greater number ‘being at risk of cyber-bullying and other online dangers’.

Facebook says it provides ‘extensive safety and privacy controls’ that are tailored to whether children or adults are using the website.

A spokesman said parents must take responsibility for teaching their children about safety, as they do when it comes to crossing roads.

A vast virtual generation gap has emerged between younger and older users of social websites, a study has found.

An average 22-year-old has more than 1,000 online friends on sites such as Facebook while those in their fifties typically have fewer than 20, according to consumer researchers Intersperience.

Source:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1390443/Mark-Zuckerberg-Facebook-children-13-allowed.html
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg: 'Let children under 13 use my website' Empty Re: Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg: 'Let children under 13 use my website'

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu May 26, 2011 4:16 pm

Mark Zuckerberg is a tool.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg: 'Let children under 13 use my website' Empty Re: Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg: 'Let children under 13 use my website'

Post by Chris Thu May 26, 2011 4:49 pm

He just wants more revenue. What's the point of a child under the age of thirteen having a Facebook account? If they want to socialize, send them to the school.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu May 26, 2011 7:45 pm

When is this guy going to have enough money?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu May 26, 2011 9:59 pm

Facebook is the devil. I'm surprised it's not dying out by now.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu May 26, 2011 10:12 pm

I am honestly surprised that Zuckerberg took that stance. What an idiot...currently those under the age limit have to put in a false date of birth to have a page. So, he is basically saying he thinks it is ideal for kids to buck the system, and have a FB profile anyway.

I do allow my son to have one but for us, it has worked. I have all of his log in information, so I am able to check up things there and I do. And while I have never seen anything disturbing, some things said in messages have led to discussions between us. So, like I said, for us it works. But for a kid to have one, who is never checked up on, is not the best way to go.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu May 26, 2011 11:27 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:Facebook is the devil. I'm surprised it's not dying out by now.

It will. Everything that gets too big always does.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri May 27, 2011 12:35 am

Guess he's trying to find a way to make even more money. It's pretty easy to lie about your age on facebook and I doubt they have the time to police the millions who use facebook. Wonder if he'll be held accountable if a younger child falls prey to a pedophile on facebook.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Fri May 27, 2011 8:27 pm

This Zuckerberg fellow - if he's not on angel dust - is a moron. Children under 13 do not need a Facebook page and it's stupid of him to push this for such young children when there is cyber-bullying, sex offenders, etc. It's dangerous and I think his greed his speaking for him rather than logic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 8:32 am