CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
GrayWolf
Chris
Cheaps
TSJFan4Ever
Marc™
Alan Smithee
MandyPerfumeGirl
Nystyle709
RedBedroom
13 posters

Did your parents give you a lot of spending money?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Did your parents give you a lot of spending money? Empty Did your parents give you a lot of spending money?

Post by RedBedroom Tue May 31, 2011 6:05 pm

I didn't get spending money. I hoarded money from birthdays and babysitting so I could pay for things that came up.

My son doesn't get much from me either. Once in a while I will give him some cash, but he needs to save his lawn mowing earnings for movies, bowling, etc.

I am truly blown away by the fact that a majority of my son's friends get over $20 a weekend to do whatever they come up with. Not in this house...
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Did your parents give you a lot of spending money? Empty Re: Did your parents give you a lot of spending money?

Post by Nystyle709 Tue May 31, 2011 7:19 pm

Umm, my dad would give me money pretty much whenever I asked for it. I was always reasonable though.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Did your parents give you a lot of spending money? Empty Re: Did your parents give you a lot of spending money?

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Tue May 31, 2011 7:24 pm

I guess I got a fair amount of spending money. A reasonable allowance every week, plus birthday and Christmas money, and "bribery money" for getting a good report card. I was pretty satisfied with all that - I don't ever remember asking for extra money when I was younger. And I also really didn't want anything - my holiday money and such would just sit in my room and collect.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue May 31, 2011 7:26 pm

I don't remember having a lot of cash in my pockets but I wasn't deprived.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue May 31, 2011 10:38 pm

Yeah they did. My father wasn't much of a father....but he was always willing to throw cash my way if he had it.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Tue May 31, 2011 11:44 pm

Not really but my parents would buy us things if what we were asking for was reasonable - clothes and stuff like that.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:26 am

i had a weekly allowance i got from my stepdad, so that was enough for me, til i got my first job
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:06 am

At times, but I definitely had to work for it. If I needed it, I'd have to sort of present a 'case' as to why.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:35 am

Maybe not alot but they always gave something. As the youngest of 5, my parents not only spoiled and had a soft spot for me but were also too tired to bother asking alot of questions so they just gave me the cash and said to be good.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:44 am

My parents provided, but only when it suited their own agenda and wants; I was told that if I wanted a car and to go to college, get a job and pay for it myself. So I did. I don't think it was fair, though, that they charged me rent to live in my own home while I was a teen, working to pay my own way--they took 25% of whatever my after taxes pay was, and I was so broke by the time I graduated high school, that I had to use my graduation money I'd gotten as gifts, to pay my car insurance. I worked 2 jobs through college to pay for that, but luckily, where I went to school, it was only $1000 per year at the time.

I sort of resent them for the rent-part of that, but at the same time, I'm glad I owe them nothing, because they're the type to make sure you'd pay up if you did. I'm doing things differently with my own daughter to the point where I'd be fine selling my house to pay for her college. We give her as much as we can, but she also appreciates it, having gotten a taste of the real world, being in public school after years of private school, and seeing how some people don't have nearly as much as she does.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:26 am

I was always too afraid to ask my father for money but my Mama used to buy me things if I asked. I used to work odd jobs like mowing lawns, raking leaves, help clean out garages and basements and I even worked as a stock boy in a grocery store just to have my own spending money.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:28 am

Hyacinth Girl wrote:My parents provided, but only when it suited their own agenda and wants; I was told that if I wanted a car and to go to college, get a job and pay for it myself. So I did. I don't think it was fair, though, that they charged me rent to live in my own home while I was a teen, working to pay my own way--they took 25% of whatever my after taxes pay was, and I was so broke by the time I graduated high school, that I had to use my graduation money I'd gotten as gifts, to pay my car insurance. I worked 2 jobs through college to pay for that, but luckily, where I went to school, it was only $1000 per year at the time.

I sort of resent them for the rent-part of that, but at the same time, I'm glad I owe them nothing, because they're the type to make sure you'd pay up if you did. I'm doing things differently with my own daughter to the point where I'd be fine selling my house to pay for her college. We give her as much as we can, but she also appreciates it, having gotten a taste of the real world, being in public school after years of private school, and seeing how some people don't have nearly as much as she does.

Wow that really sucks about the paying rent while you were living with them and going to school. I would be a bit resentful myself but the good thing as you say, you owe them nothing and you did it on your own.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:17 pm

Nah, they never gave me much of anything.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
    Hyacinth Girl wrote:My parents provided, but only when it suited their own agenda and wants; I was told that if I wanted a car and to go to college, get a job and pay for it myself. So I did. I don't think it was fair, though, that they charged me rent to live in my own home while I was a teen, working to pay my own way--they took 25% of whatever my after taxes pay was, and I was so broke by the time I graduated high school, that I had to use my graduation money I'd gotten as gifts, to pay my car insurance. I worked 2 jobs through college to pay for that, but luckily, where I went to school, it was only $1000 per year at the time.

Wow that really sucks about the paying rent while you were living with them and going to school. I would be a bit resentful myself but the good thing as you say, you owe them nothing and you did it on your own.

Yeah, they weren't all around jerks or anything--just became parents way too young, each with their own divorce stuff to deal with, child support, etc., and had some ideas about life that made you say "Are you kidding me??", like the rent-thing. Best thing that ever happened was when they moved to Phoenix AZ, about 12 years ago from Mass, where I am--we've never gotten along so good!

Distance/absence not only makes the heart grow fonder, it also gets your parents out of your face!! big grin
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:17 pm

Sometimes they did, but usually they didn't.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:24 am