CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Nystyle709
MandyPerfumeGirl
Alan Smithee
Nhaiyel
8 posters

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner / Guess Who

Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner / Guess Who Empty Guess Who's Coming to Dinner / Guess Who

Post by Nhaiyel Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:04 pm

Have you ever saw the Guess Who's Coming to Dinner with Spencer Tracy, Sidney Poitier and Katharine Hepburn. I saw it on TV late one night some years back and loved it. Today I was thinking about it and put it on my "Wish List" at Amazon. A very classy and elegant movie and it's always a treat to see how more "liberal" society approached matters of race during the era of the Civil Rights Movement.

Now…

Did anyone see that silly-seeming remake with Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher? I haven't, and even though I bet there's some hysterical banter between Mac and Kutcher, I'm guessing it no where near stands up to the original.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner / Guess Who Empty Re: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner / Guess Who

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:20 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:Have you ever saw the Guess Who's Coming to Dinner with Spencer Tracy, Sidney Poitier and Katharine Hepburn. I saw it on TV late one night some years back and loved it. Today I was thinking about it and put it on my "Wish List" at Amazon. A very classy and elegant movie and it's always a treat to see how more "liberal" society approached matters of race during the era of the Civil Rights Movement.

Now…

Did anyone see that silly-seeming remake with Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher? I haven't, and even though I bet there's some hysterical banter between Mac and Kutcher, I'm guessing it no where near stands up to the original.
    Not for me. Any similarity between the two are a couple of words in the titles.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner / Guess Who Empty Re: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner / Guess Who

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:39 pm

"Guess Who" doesn't really sound like my type of movie (being that it has Ashton Kutcher in it and all), but I have seen "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" and I think that's a very good movie. Hepburn, Tracy and Poitier were all great in their roles.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:30 pm

I haven't seen the original, but I've seen the remake with Bernie and Ashton. That was a little corny. I barely laughed. And Bernie is one of my favorite comedians.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:27 am

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner is a classic in many ways. It dealt with a social issue of the day - 1967 - the very year that miscegenation laws were ruled unconstitutional in the last 17 backward states where whites and blacks were not allowed to have intimate relations.

It was also the last movie that lovers Tracy & Hepburn acted together (he was pretty sick at the time).

As for Guess Who I had the DVD and gave it away. Couldn't stand all the unreal conniving and game playing portrayed. It was annoying as hell from a guy into telling it like it is.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:19 am

That was my first introduction to seeing Katharine Hepburn in a movie, I didn't care for her or the movie in general past the initial viewing though it was funny when they went out and Spencer Tracy was trying to remember the name of the boosenberry ice cream he wanted, and also when the preacher threatened to wrestle him to the floor. Spencer Tracy died shortly after finishing his scenes for that movie, and Katharine Hepburn lived to be 96 years old and could never bring herself to watch it.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:12 am

Didn't see GUESS WHO, but it seemed like a flaky vanity vehicle to get Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher together in a movie. The previews didn't even look good.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:30 am

Marc™ wrote:Didn't see GUESS WHO, but it seemed like a flaky vanity vehicle to get Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher together in a movie. The previews didn't even look good.

THIS^, same with the Honeymooners, that's why I don't bother with a lot of the new remakes.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:14 pm

I never saw it in full, but it is one of those films that can be tagged: 'the right movie, at the right time.'

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:52 am