CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Forgiveness Man
CeCe
Chris
7 posters

Is too much money spent on HIV research and treatment?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Is too much money spent on HIV research and treatment? Empty Is too much money spent on HIV research and treatment?

Post by Chris Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:21 am

According to Roger England in BMJ, the country is.

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/334/7589/344

Although not a popular, or even a really loud, opinion; I think there has always been a quiet argument that since HIV is largely preventable, government money should be more fixated on diseases that aren't individually transmitted. Not my opinion, but I've heard it before.

What do you think?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Is too much money spent on HIV research and treatment? Empty Re: Is too much money spent on HIV research and treatment?

Post by CeCe Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:26 am

Absolutely not. And the government is partially responsible for its neglect & indifference in the early days. Maybe the Reagan estate should have to donate some money.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Is too much money spent on HIV research and treatment? Empty Re: Is too much money spent on HIV research and treatment?

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:50 am

^^^^Why should Reagan donate any money? That's bitter hogwash.

The government's got plenty of diseases it has to look into treating. HIV shouldn't be given any more special treatment than any other fatal disease. I think people know the truth and that's why they wanna punish, say the Reagan administration, in order to convince themselves that some enemy is to blame for the disease. We can do research until the cows come home but the fact is that America isn't willing to get rid of HIV. We're more than happy to invite it to dinner.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:37 am

Reagen isn't to blame for the disease.

Reagen is to blame for his horrible handling of it. Every other major world leader began programs to inform people of the disease immediately. Even in East Germany they began battling it. Reagen didn't do shit, like it was the poor person's disease that couldn't reach him in his ivory tower.

But I will agree about that last thing you said. America doesn't like to cure diseases-- it's bad for the FDA. Didn't somebody cure cancer, like, ten years ago?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:22 pm

No, I don't think too much money is spent on AIDS research.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:20 am

I never really thought about the preventability of AIDS being a factor in the money spent on research. I don't see how they can blame the millions of children suffering from AIDS. They certainly had no hand in preventing the illness. I'd rather see them find a cure or a vaccine, so that we don't continue to spend money treating people, but can work on healing them or preventing them form being sick. I'd love to see a day when AIDS is no more a concern than polio is.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:03 am

Rockbird wrote:Reagen is to blame for his horrible handling of it. Every other major world leader began programs to inform people of the disease immediately. Even in East Germany they began battling it. Reagen didn't do shit, like it was the poor person's disease that couldn't reach him in his ivory tower.

But I will agree about that last thing you said. America doesn't like to cure diseases-- it's bad for the FDA. Didn't somebody cure cancer, like, ten years ago?

Oh please. Informing people clearly is irrelevant. What good does informing people who don't care to take necessary action do?

Oh it's got even less to do with the FDA. America just doesn't care about the consequences of choices and so we embrace disease. It's not just limited to AIDS. We know smoking is bad for us and how many of us smoke? We know how AIDS spreads. People just don't care enough to stop it. It's easier to blame Reagan.
    Angel
    Angel
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by Angel Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:
    Rockbird wrote:Reagen is to blame for his horrible handling of it. Every other major world leader began programs to inform people of the disease immediately. Even in East Germany they began battling it. Reagen didn't do shit, like it was the poor person's disease that couldn't reach him in his ivory tower.

Oh please. Informing people clearly is irrelevant. What good does informing people who don't care to take necessary action do?

Oh it's got even less to do with the FDA. America just doesn't care about the consequences of choices and so we embrace disease. It's not just limited to AIDS. We know smoking is bad for us and how many of us smoke? We know how AIDS spreads. People just don't care enough to stop it. It's easier to blame Reagan.

I agree with you. People got on Reagan's case I think for not speaking up sooner merely because he was a conservative Republican, and in their minds they equated his silence as malevolent contentment over what was happening to people who didn't share his moral outlook. Truth is just like the presidents that followed couldn't stop the spread of AIDS, neither could he. This was a communicable plague being randomly spread by individuals willingly engaging in high risk activity. Reagan couldn't have stopped or controlled what was happening if he tried! Especially not in THOSE days!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:32 pm