CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Alan Smithee
Hyacinth Girl
Tony Marino
Forgiveness Man
Shale
Supernova
RobbieFTW
Chris
12 posters

Should typing become a mandatory subject in school?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should typing become a mandatory subject in school? Empty Should typing become a mandatory subject in school?

Post by Chris Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:26 am

We just had a thread about how cursive handwriting is becoming less and less taught in school – because of how the Internet and texting have become societal mainstays – so do you think typing should become a mandatory part of school curriculum?
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Should typing become a mandatory subject in school? Empty Re: Should typing become a mandatory subject in school?

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:44 am

More and more probably so. If we're gonna have a generation of people who don't know how to write, then they should at least know how type (and when to use paragraphs).
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should typing become a mandatory subject in school? Empty Re: Should typing become a mandatory subject in school?

Post by Supernova Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:48 am

It isn't already?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:31 am

I learned to type in high school - it was a 'practical art' and I had used all my fine art options.

I learned touch typing, which does not help with the thumb typing texters because my brain does not know where the letters are on the keyboard, just my fingers. Really, I am one of the fastest typists in the office because I use all my fingers but if I had to find the letters on the keyboard IDK where they are at.

So, maybe they will have texting classes where ppl learn how to type with their thumbs while looking at the keyboard. My 20-something co-worker who texts told me she was the same way before texting but now she can search letters on the keyboard in addition to touch typing.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:21 am

I don't see how learning when to paragraph is really an issue for typing, specifically. IMO, anything taught in typing can and should be taught in a writing course. "Typing" courses to me suggest the student ways they expect students to type. And IMO, that's a load. I'll type how I want to. So no, "typing" should not be a subject. WRITING should. big grin
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:41 pm

If you don't want to type with two fingers then I would say not mandatory but available for those that want it. I had a typing class in school and I was happy I signed up for it since I can whiz across the keyboard with both hands Smile
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote: So no, "typing" should not be a subject. WRITING should. big grin

^^With a strong emphasis on spelling and grammar! Kids today have been raised on texting where you abbreviate everything and spell out words either like they literally sound, or come up with some weird-ass spelling to make it cool, funny, or whatever the case may be.

I have no problem with the true abbreviations--that's no different than shorthand, but when you get into stuff like these fine examples from my former forum, you have to start to wonder how some of these people will survive in the real world, much less a professional job interview that gets them there in the first place:

Nao=Now
    Buttsecks=sodomy
    Hai=Hello or Hi
    Orly=Oh really
    Bewbs=boobs
    "I can has?" instead of "Can I have?"

Seriously?? No wonder so many in the younger generation can't spell.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:14 pm

As an elective.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:18 pm

Tony Marino wrote:If you don't want to type with two fingers then I would say not mandatory but available for those that want it. I had a typing class in school and I was happy I signed up for it since I can whiz across the keyboard with both hands Smile

same here.. the way our teacher taught us was on our first day of class.. the whole typewriter had duct tape over every single key on the key board. we weren't allowed to remove them
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:24 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote: So no, "typing" should not be a subject. WRITING should. big grin

^^With a strong emphasis on spelling and grammar! Kids today have been raised on texting where you abbreviate everything and spell out words either like they literally sound, or come up with some weird-ass spelling to make it cool, funny, or whatever the case may be.

I have no problem with the true abbreviations--that's no different than shorthand, but when you get into stuff like these fine examples from my former forum, you have to start to wonder how some of these people will survive in the real world, much less a professional job interview that gets them there in the first place:

Nao=Now
    Buttsecks=sodomy
    Hai=Hello or Hi
    Orly=Oh really
    Bewbs=boobs
    "I can has?" instead of "Can I have?"

I've heard of some but don't use those. FORGIVENESS MAN (Of course I am a smiley and lol addict. Razz ) Maybe it's cause I don't text. I think writing classes SHOULD emphasize spelling and grammar, but IDK, it's sad that we have to emphasize that. That stuff should be a given. Maybe it's the writer in me that feels that way though. lol
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Let's start with grammar first.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote: ...
    Srsly? big grin
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Shale wrote:
    Hyacinth Girl wrote: ...
    Srsly? big grin

I guess "age" holds no boundaries! big grin

But here's a few for us older folk:

WTF=Where's The Fiber?
    TMI=Take My Insulin
    LOL=Lots Of Love
    IDK=I'm (the) Denture King
    EMO=Eat My Oatmeal
    STFU=Shitting's Too Freakin' Uncomfortable
    LMAO=Lost My Applesauce Once
    ROFL=Running Out For Laxatives
    BTW=Big Titanium Walker
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Yes. Most people still can only 'peck'....believe it or not.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:37 pm

I graduated forever ago, and it was required then. I think that it should be forever.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:01 am