CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

What do you consider to be a good job?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

What do you consider to be a good job? Empty What do you consider to be a good job?

Post by Chris Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:51 am

I am not talking about the work, or the profession, so much as the other things. Like what kind of schedule, what kinds of benefits, work environment, opportunities for growth, how you are valued, pay scale, etc., etc.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

What do you consider to be a good job? Empty Re: What do you consider to be a good job?

Post by Hyacinth Girl Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Up to now, I've stayed where I am because my employer is willing to work with me on the schedule/hours I've needed to have to make family life flow smoothly. That's why I presently work 12 days in a row, 6pm to midnight, with the weekend in the middle, 2:30-11pm to get in my 38 hours per week.

I've made myself somewhat indispensable in the respect that no one else wants to do my job because it blows at times, and my bosses know that and about 98% of the time, love me for it.

I do enjoy the type of work I do, and I actually physically function better, working nights, so it's a win/win for me as well as the lab; I get to pretty much be my own boss on the off shifts, and they rest easy knowing they have a seasoned lab tech there 12 out of 14 nights to fix the machines if they break, supervise, and cover if all hell breaks loose in blood bank.

I get paid very well, too, but I'd still take the hours first over that. As far as growth, I've actually been passed over 4 times for supervisory positions over the 24 years I've been where I am, and each time, save for once, they've realized after the fact that it was a mistake on their part. But.. .knowing that's how they ultimately operate and keep you where they want you, I'll eventually have no problem changing jobs at some point after my daughter doesn't need me to drive her around everywhere anymore.

So basically, me and my employer are sort of using each other right now, but it works.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

What do you consider to be a good job? Empty Re: What do you consider to be a good job?

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:39 pm

It's kind of hard to answer directly because different things work for different people. Personally, I LOATHE getting up and working in the mornings. The perfect job for me would be one where I can work late morning to afternoons, preferably afternoons. I know some people don't like that. I guess the generic answer would be a job that comes with complete health and dental benefits, a retirement and pension plan and a salary that allows you to live comfortably. It doesn't hurt if you actually enjoy going to work either.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:16 pm