CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+11
Nystyle709
DanaShelbyChancey
Jason B.
Shale
Cheaps
RedBedroom
jennab85
Nhaiyel
Tony Marino
Alan Smithee
Chris
15 posters

Do you consider fast food jobs 'shameful?'

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Do you consider fast food jobs 'shameful?' Empty Do you consider fast food jobs 'shameful?'

Post by Chris Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:08 am

When I was in college, I had professors who would make backhanded comments about, or put down those who, worked at fast food restaurants; telling the class, "If you don't get a college education, the only route will be fast food joint." Or they would say, "If you don't have a college degree, the only thing you can say is, 'Paper or plastic?'" The truth is, however, that many of the people who work at these jobs actually have a college education.

In this economy, do you think that people should still slag off fast food jobs as being menial, or beneath them?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Do you consider fast food jobs 'shameful?' Empty Re: Do you consider fast food jobs 'shameful?'

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:21 am

Fuck no. I think a person should try to aim higher but it's honest work and certainly more honorable than being a criminal. Last time I was laid off I was able to get a part time job as a cashier at one of the warehouse type home improvment stores. Was I over qualified for the job? Yes but I never had the attitude that I was too good for it.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Do you consider fast food jobs 'shameful?' Empty Re: Do you consider fast food jobs 'shameful?'

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:49 am

Well if they do they are out of their minds. In this economy many people have probably taken on 2nd jobs in fast food places just to get by. I would never demean anyone, no matter what the state of the economy is, for working in a fast food place.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:42 pm

I don't consider any honest living shameful. What's shameful is someone who is able-bodied, but sits at home all day, unemployed, thinking that they are too good to drop fries.
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by jennab85 Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:53 pm

They aren't shameful jobs. They are making an honest living.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:02 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:I don't consider any honest living shameful. What's shameful is someone who is able-bodied, but sits at home all day, unemployed, thinking that they are too good to drop fries.

Well said!
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:09 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:I don't consider any honest living shameful. What's shameful is someone who is able-bodied, but sits at home all day, unemployed, thinking that they are too good to drop fries.

Yes
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:Fuck no. I think a person should try to aim higher but it's honest work and certainly more honorable than being a criminal. Last time I was laid off I was able to get a part time job as a cashier at one of the warehouse type home improvment stores. Was I over qualified for the job? Yes but I never had the attitude that I was too good for it.
    co-signs

It was a short-lived part time job when I was in the military but I sold some of MacDonald's second MILLION burgers.

I have also swept streets and cleaned public toilets. Oh and cleaned bedpans and shitty asses in the hospital. All work that needed to be done. "Somebody had to do it," and that was me.

Of course I can't prove the prof wrong - I do not have a college education. But I learned not to look down on others who do honest work. Maybe they should include that in some humanities classes in college.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:38 pm

There's nothing wrong with these jobs. They're honest pay for an honest days work. A job is a job. I have as much respect for a doctor or lawyer as I do for the one who cooks my fries or takes my order.

I couldn't care less how much one makes, the fact that they are not sitting at home living off of the taxpayer's dime and working for a living is fine in my book...no matter what the occupation is.

And in this economy, some of those college professors ARE working at fast food restaurants now.
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 10

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:44 pm

No absolutely not! It's called paying your dues, and gaining experience. I cannot abide that attitude that some people (all generations) have, of wanting a high-paying job when they have nothing to offer.

I worked in a french fry room in a lake-type resort one summer. It was a happy time.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:37 pm

I co-sign with everybody else. If I have to flip burgers, I will.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:13 am

ITA with this, too. Nothing shameful about working hard. Fast food services jobs aren't easy!!!!
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:29 am

Not "shameful", but not desirable either because of the lack of opportunity to move up. At best you might become a supervisor or an assistant manager.....beyond that, even the fast food places want you to have had higher education to advance to store manager level.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:01 pm

People have to make a living somehow. I respect anyone who actually works to pay their bills. There's nothing shameful about it at all.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Definitely not.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:02 pm