CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
captainbryce
CatEyes10736
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Nystyle709
Shale
tmontyb
RedBedroom
RobbieFTW
12 posters

Gay Marriage Passes In NY!

RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Gay Marriage Passes In NY! Empty Gay Marriage Passes In NY!

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:50 am

New Yorkers Celebrate Historic Vote for Gay Marriage

Published June 25, 2011 | Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Champagne corks popped, rainbow flags flapped and crowds embraced and danced in the streets of Manhattan's Greenwich Village on Friday night moments after the New York Senate gave final approval to same-sex marriage, igniting wild celebrations at the Stonewall Inn, considered the birthplace of the gay rights movement.

Hundreds gathered inside and outside the landmark bar, where protests over a 1969 police raid helped trigger the movement. Shortly before midnight, Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the bill to make gay marriage legal in the country's most populous state.

Scott Redstone and his partner of 29 years, Steven Knittweis, were in the bar when the vote came in. Redstone, 57, said he and his 48-year-old partner hugged after the vote came in. "I said, `Will you marry me?' And he said, `Of course!"' He said they walked home and popped open a bottle of champagne.

Alex Kelston, 26, who works in finance in Manhattan, said he hopped in a cab and rushed to the bar when he heard the news.

"This is the place where the movement started and it's a way to close the loop and celebrate the full equality of gay people in New York," he said.

On June 28, 1969, violent encounters between police and gay activists outside the bar known as the Stonewall riots helped spark the modern-day movement for equal rights for homosexuals.

"I am spellbound. I'm so exhausted and so proud that the New York State Senate finally stood on the right side of history," said Queens teacher Eugene Lovendusky, 26, who is gay and said he hopes to marry someday.

He then repeated a chant he had screamed during a protest at a fundraiser for President Barack Obama last night: "I am somebody. I deserve full equality."

Mayor Michael Bloomberg was mid-sentence at a press conference on the city budget when City Council Speaker Christine Quinn interrupted him to announce that the marriage bill had passed.

The room erupted in cheers from other lawmakers and staff, as Quinn -- the first gay person to hold the job -- embraced her colleagues and smiled, tears welling in her eyes.

"It's hard to describe the feeling of having the law of your state changed to say that you ... are a full member of the state and that your family is as good as any other family," she said.

In a way, the decision will change everything for her and her partner, Quinn said.

"Tomorrow, my family will gather for my niece's college graduation party, and that'll be a totally different day because we'll get to talk about when our wedding will be and what it'll look like, and what dress Jordan, our grand-niece, will wear as the flower girl. And that's a moment I really thought would never come," she said.

"I really can't really describe what this feels like, but it is one of the best feelings I have ever had in my life," she said.

Bloomberg called the vote "a historic triumph for equality and freedom."

He said he would support the Republicans who voted for the measure Friday, and said he believed their actions were consistent with GOP ideals of liberty and freedom.

"The Republicans who stood up today for those principles I think will long be remembered for their courage, foresight and wisdom," said the mayor, a Democrat-turned-Republican-turned-independent. "Ten, 20, 30 years from now, I believe they will look back on this vote as one of the finest and most proud moments in their life."

Bloomberg, a billionaire who had lobbied in Albany for the measure along with Quinn, has the personal resources to help the Republicans withstand any backlash from their own party.

Celebrities also responded, with Lady Gaga posting on Twitter that she "can't stop crying." The pop star has been urging her 11 million followers to call New York senators in support of the bill.

"The revolution is ours to fight for love, justice+equality. Rejoice NY, and propose. We did it!!!" she also posted.

Talk show host Wendy Williams posted to her Twitter followers as well, saying: "Yay for Gay Marriage! NY, it's about time... jersey we're next! How you doin?"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/25/new-yorkers-celebrate-historic-vote-for-gay-marriage/#ixzz1QHPLwIpB
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Gay Marriage Passes In NY! Empty Re: Gay Marriage Passes In NY!

Post by RedBedroom Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:16 am

Amen. Truly. Amen.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:31 am

Finally! Though, my other half and I have no intention of getting married, I think it's great for other people who want to do it. There should be no reason why they can't.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:12 am

These are little symbolic victories but not really marriage.

It is akin to the old segregation days when one state maintained colored/white facilities and others gave blacks full franchise. It is not the way to run a country and in the late '60s the federal government stepped in and made racial civil rights the law of the whole nation.

Now it is time to work on the feds. Those ppl married in New York and the few other states need to start suing the federal government for full franchise. The feds always say marriage is a state affair, well if you are married you are married - sue for equal federal benefits of that marriage.

Right now I am drawing on my dead wife's social security because before she died we were married for more than 10 years. None of the gay couples married in the U.S. can do that. So one same-gender 'spouse' lives at home, supported by the other - shit outta luck when the worker dies. To social security you were just friends.

Maybe this will be the beginning tho. There have to be at least a couple dozen gay lawyers in NYC alone.
    big grin
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:35 am

Okay.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:23 am

It's about time, New York. I mean really...
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:01 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:It's about time, New York. I mean really...
    Yeah, kind of embarrasing actually.

Just picked this up in a hurry:

Same-Sex Marriage
    The Netherlands in 2001 were the first country to legalize same-sex marriages, (Of course, you'd expect that). Since then, same-sex marriages have been performed legally by Belgium (2003), Spain (2005), Canada (2005), South Africa (2006), Norway (2009), Sweden (2009), Portugal (2010), Iceland (2010), Argentina (2010).

In the United States, same-sex marriages are performed in its federal district, the District of Columbia (2010), and in five six states: Massachusetts (2004), Connecticut (2008), Iowa (for 4 hours in 2007 and from 2009), (IOWA? - Fucking Iowa did it before NY? Shocked) Vermont (2009) and New Hampshire (2010). The state of New York recognizes Same-sex marriages preformed elsewhere. (and now from its own state) A 1996 law prevents the U.S. federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages, but this law is under challenge in the courts and was recently ruled unconstitutional by a federal district court in Massachusetts. (This is the way we need to go - like Loving vs Va.) This ruling is currently under a stay, but if the stay is lifted, same-sex marriages in Massachusetts would be afforded both state and federal recognition. If the case is affirmed on appeal, it could be applied regionally in the U.S. or, if affirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court, nationwide.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:43 pm

About time! Progress can be delayed, but not stopped. Slowly but surely it's happening. Always good to see barriers knocked down and equality shining through.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:51 pm

Wow, where are all the anti-gay marriage haters at? big grin
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:17 pm

captainbryce wrote:Wow, where are all the anti-gay marriage haters at? big grin

I'm right here. I hate people who are anti-gay marriage. big grin
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male

Post by tmontyb Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:53 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:

LOL!! RIGHT ON!
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:37 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:

ROFLMAO!
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:40 pm

Taking a vacation from the vacation to say IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!!! And congrats to all the soon to be married. Yes
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:42 pm

There. Armageddon didn't happen. Now onto more pressing matters.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:37 pm

Chris wrote:There. Armageddon didn't happen. Now onto more pressing matters.

Yeah but when the delayed rapture comes, you know where it's gonna hit first.....
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male

Post by tmontyb Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:08 pm

Marc™ wrote:

Yeah but when the delayed rapture comes, you know where it's gonna hit first.....

Lies and lesbian tales!!
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Marc™ wrote:

Yep. 3701 West 12th Street, Topeka, Kansas. That's the address of the Westboro Baptist Church. The Rapture or a VW sized rock from space.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 am