CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
Supernova
Shale
Chris
9 posters

The Little Rascals/Our Gang

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

The Little Rascals/Our Gang Empty The Little Rascals/Our Gang

Post by Chris Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:41 pm

The Little Rascals/Our Gang Ogtitle2

Are you a fan of those old The Little Rascals/Our Gang shorts? I remember they used to come on TV when I was very young, but I bet I haven't seen them air anywhere since I was under the age of five or six.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

The Little Rascals/Our Gang Empty Re: The Little Rascals/Our Gang

Post by Shale Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Chris wrote: Are you a fan of those old The Little Rascals/Our Gang shorts? I remember they used to come on TV when I was very young, but I bet I haven't seen them air anywhere since I was under the age of five or six.
    Same here. They were on TV when I was young, and I'm sure weren't quite as dated as when you were young.

I think Jackie Cooper was the most enduring of all those kids, doing adult roles past middle age.

The Little Rascals/Our Gang Jackiecooper
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:14 pm

As kids we saw the movie made in '96, and it was cute, and funny when we were kids, but I wouldn't watch it today. Now, a while back, TCM had like a full day's worth of the original shorts on, even some of the silent ones, and I got a bunch of them recorded, and they were funny. There was one, I can't remember the name, where they go to school and drive off the teacher's brother because they think he's her boyfriend and will marry her. Another one that was hilarious when they were running Grandma's store and Stymie came in and wanted 'it' and he was licking soap and gasoline and stuff and saying 'nope, that ain't it'.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:46 pm

Some of those were classics. It's very sad that more than a few of the Gang met tragic ends.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:47 pm

Not really. They did a remake of the movie and I thought it was cute. But I never got into them.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Shale wrote:
    Chris wrote: Are you a fan of those old The Little Rascals/Our Gang shorts? I remember they used to come on TV when I was very young, but I bet I haven't seen them air anywhere since I was under the age of five or six.
    Same here. They were on TV when I was young, and I'm sure weren't quite as dated as when you were young.

I think Jackie Cooper was the most enduring of all those kids, doing adult roles past middle age.

Yes, Jackie Cooper was the exception for later success. I made an obscure reference to this in another post, put in one picture, he refused to cry in a scene. The director, also his uncle, threatened to shot his dog.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:50 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:
    Yes, Jackie Cooper was the exception for later success. I made an obscure reference to this in another post, put in one picture, he refused to cry in a scene. The director, also his uncle, threatened to shot his dog.

That's noting new for the old child stars. Jackie Coogan, Uncle Fester, when he was in Charlie Chaplin's The Kid, during the scene where he's being taken away, his father threatened to put him in the poorhouse if he didn't cry for that scene and get it right. And Natalie Wood when she was a little girl, she had to cry for one scene and her mother made it very realistic by catching a butterfly and ripping its wings off in front of her.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Supernova wrote:
    Alan Smithee wrote:

That's noting new for the old child stars. Jackie Coogan, Uncle Fester, when he was in Charlie Chaplin's The Kid, during the scene where he's being taken away, his father threatened to put him in the poorhouse if he didn't cry for that scene and get it right. And Natalie Wood when she was a little girl, she had to cry for one scene and her mother made it very realistic by catching a butterfly and ripping its wings off in front of her.

His father did.

The Coogan Law is named for famous child actor Jackie Coogan. Coogan was discovered in 1919 by Charlie Chaplin and soon after cast in the comedian’s famous film, The Kid. Jackie-mania was in full force during the 1920s, spawning a wave of merchandise dedicated to his image. It wasn’t until his 21st birthday after the death of his father and the dwindling of his film career that Jackie realized he was left with none of the earnings he had work so hard for as a child. Under California law at the time, the earnings of the minor belonged solely to the parent.

Coogan eventually sued his mother and former manager for his earnings. As a result, in 1939, the Coogan Law was put into effect, presumably to protect future young actors from finding themselves in the same terrible situation that Jackie Coogan was left in. Unfortunately, the 1939 incarnation of the Coogan Law was flawed, leaving open various loopholes and necessitating long term, court sanctioned contracts for validation.

After many years of advocating for more protections for child actors, Screen Actors Guild Young Performers Committee, National Policy and Planning Department and other industry groups were successful in closing many of the loopholes that made the original Coogan Law ineffective. In January 1, 2000, changes in California law affirmed that earnings by minors in the entertainment industry are the property of the minor, not their parents. Since a minor cannot legally control their own money, California Law governs their earnings and creates a fiduciary relationship between the parent and the child. This change in California law also requires that 15% of all minors’ earnings must be set aside in a blocked trust account commonly known as a Coogan Account.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:23 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:
    Shale wrote:

Dickie Moore (who is still alive) made quite a few movies after the rascals.

The Little Rascals/Our Gang 220px-DickieMoore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickie_Moore_%28actor%29

Robert Blake also went on to success on TV.

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Chris wrote:The Little Rascals/Our Gang Ogtitle2

Are you a fan of those old The Little Rascals/Our Gang shorts? I remember they used to come on TV when I was very young, but I bet I haven't seen them air anywhere since I was under the age of five or six.

I love the little Rascals, I used to watch them every time they were ever on TV. They disappeared after awhile and one day I was on e-bay and someone was selling a collection from Cabin Fever (who released all the Rascals shorts on DVD) and I bought them. I also bought a bootleg set from a seller and besides the silent ones, I have a complete set of all the Rascals shorts.

Cabin Fever DVD Pictures:

The Little Rascals/Our Gang 51Y4ZFELDnL._SL500_AA300_
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:31 pm

One of the funniest ones was Love Business with Chubby, Mary Ann Jackson, Jackie Cooper and Wheezer. Miss Crabtree moves in with Jackie's family and he and Chubby fall in love with her. I never forget Chubby "Oh Miss Crabtree there is something heavy on my heart" LOL

The Little Rascals/Our Gang Luvbiz
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:37 pm

I remember hearing a rumor that Bill Cosby found those shorts to be racist and was looking to buy the rights so that he could stop them from running on TV again.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:19 pm

Tony Marino wrote:One of the funniest ones was Love Business with Chubby, Mary Ann Jackson, Jackie Cooper and Wheezer. Miss Crabtree moves in with Jackie's family and he and Chubby fall in love with her. I never forget Chubby "Oh Miss Crabtree there is something heavy on my heart" LOL

Oh God, WHEEZER! I remember the Bear Hunters one where the older boy's whining "Aw Geez!" all the time (wanna smack that boy) and he tells his friends he can't go with them because "I gotta stay and GREASE WHEEZER!" because Wheezer had the croup and he had to put goose cream on him. Though I gotta wonder WHAT part of the goose goes into the cream?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:23 pm

Tony Marino wrote:One of the funniest ones was Love Business with Chubby, Mary Ann Jackson, Jackie Cooper and Wheezer. Miss Crabtree moves in with Jackie's family and he and Chubby fall in love with her. I never forget Chubby "Oh Miss Crabtree there is something heavy on my heart" LOL

The Little Rascals/Our Gang Luvbiz

Oh Chubsy-Ubsy there's gonna be something heavy on your nose! ...
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Marc™ wrote:I remember hearing a rumor that Bill Cosby found those shorts to be racist and was looking to buy the rights so that he could stop them from running on TV again.

That's all it was. A rumor.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:36 am

Nystyle709 wrote:Not really. They did a remake of the movie and I thought it was cute. But I never got into them.

i never seen the originals only the movie re-make too.

but my oldest niece was IN LOVE with this movie, so i seen it quite a few times
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:47 am

I remember the movie but not the TV show.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:29 am

Supernova wrote:

Oh God, WHEEZER! I remember the Bear Hunters one where the older boy's whining "Aw Geez!" all the time (wanna smack that boy) and he tells his friends he can't go with them because "I gotta stay and GREASE WHEEZER!" because Wheezer had the croup and he had to put goose cream on him. Though I gotta wonder WHAT part of the goose goes into the cream?

I remember that one LOL can you imagine having to be greased! I bet it worked though.

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:31 am

Alan, do you remember one with the Submarine Band? The gang was trying to win some money I think and their band was called the submarine band. I remember it was hilarious!
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:58 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Alan, do you remember one with the Submarine Band? The gang was trying to win some money I think and their band was called the submarine band. I remember it was hilarious!

The International Silver String Submarine Band!

The camping trip. "I forgot to bring the food." The Little Rascals/Our Gang 103305

The go-cart race to impress the new girl.The Little Rascals/Our Gang 103303

Mush!The Little Rascals/Our Gang 103300
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:09 am

Alan Smithee wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:Alan, do you remember one with the Submarine Band? The gang was trying to win some money I think and their band was called the submarine band. I remember it was hilarious!

The International Silver String Submarine Band!

The camping trip. "I forgot to bring the food." The Little Rascals/Our Gang 103305

The go-cart race to impress the new girl.The Little Rascals/Our Gang 103303

Mush!The Little Rascals/Our Gang 103300

LOL Oh man I love those Rascals. Yeah that was it Uncle and when they started to play the guys hat flew off and his hair was sticking up!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:01 pm