CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

Beginners

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Beginners Empty Beginners

Post by Shale Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Beginners
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    July 1, 2011

Even tho I will see every brainless Sci-Fi Action flick this summer, I can still appreciate a good, well-made movie. This movie was written by director Mike Mills and it is based on events of his own life. This comes thru visually as a labor of love.

The hook for me was in the trailers when I saw the relationship between Oliver (Ewan McGregor) and his father Hal (Christopher Plummer). The movie is non-linear but easy to follow, going from Oliver's childhood memories, to the recent memories of his father coming out as gay after his mother's death and to the present realities (and again memories of recent past). Sounds confusing but it is so well done you keep up.

It actually opens on Oliver cleaning out his father's home after his death, but immediately we get the whole story leading up to this thru flashbacks of one period or another. It is fresh, fast and informative as images from that past flash in still fotos on the screen as if seen by a graphic artist, which Oliver & Mills are.

Oliver as Mike Mills
    Beginners Oliver-is-dealing-with-a-lot_565x360

There are glimpses of Oliver as a child (Keegan Boos) with his mother, (Mary Page Keller) who is fun and theatrical in nature. Oliver picks up even then that there is something missing in the relationship of his mother and father, who stayed married for 44 years. After his mother dies, his father at 75 comes out. Shortly after that the father is fighting incurable cancer, but for a brief few years finds Andy (Goran Visnjic) a young man who loves him.

Andy & Hal - Beginning
    Beginners 76172_gal

Meanwhile, Oliver with a track record of scuttling many serious relationships meets Anna (Melanie Laurent) at a party and they are immediately drawn to each other.

Anna & Oliver - Beginning
    Beginners Young-love_565x352

Oh, nearly forgot the other main character, Arthur, Hal's Jack Russell Terrier, who has a few lines in subtitles and is Oliver's interim companion after his father's death. Don't worry, like everything else in this movie, the dog is cute but not too cute and the few subtitles work.

Oliver & Arthur - Beginning
    Beginners 76176_gal

Well, as you can tell I really liked this movie and would recommend it for anyone who enjoys a good story of love between a son and his father, a daddy and his boy, a man and a woman and a boy and his dog. Great movie.
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Beginners Empty Re: Beginners

Post by JWF Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:03 pm

One of the best over-all casting in 2011 movie releases. Not as good as director Mike Mills "Thumbsucker", but still a very fresh and entertaining film. A comfortable film to watch and accept.

Dad's (a terrific Christopher Plummer) words: "you always have a reason for not being around someone". After a 44 year marriage dad comes out of the closet at age 75 to live a gay relationship. How his son (another excellent performance from Ewan McGregor) accepts it is very moving, considering his own poor choices.

B+

jack

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:30 pm