CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Colorado daycare center proposal: Dolls must represent at least three different races

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Colorado daycare center proposal: Dolls must represent at least three different races Empty Colorado daycare center proposal: Dolls must represent at least three different races

Post by Chris Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:50 am

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2011/07/dolls_three_races_colorado_day_care_centers.php

In Colorado, daycare providers in the state may soon be required to have dolls that represent the three different races, per regulations being proposed by the Colorado Department of Human Services. The rule about dolls is one of many new daycare regulations being proposed by the Colorado Department of Human Services.

'Among them: children over age two must not be served whole milk without a note from a doctor, kids over age one can't drink more than six ounces of juice per day, TV and computer time will be capped at twenty minutes daily, and staffers must wear clothes that cover their lap and shoulders.

But arguably the most unusual suggestion pops up on page 77: "Dolls shall represent three (3) races."'

The department will be seeking feedback on the proposed regulations from daycare providers and the general public. Nothing is likely to be finalized prior to mid-2012.

What do you think? Is Colorado's doll proposal for daycare's reasonable or ridiculous?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Colorado daycare center proposal: Dolls must represent at least three different races Empty Re: Colorado daycare center proposal: Dolls must represent at least three different races

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:24 am

I guess you can argue either way about this but I really don't think the ills of our society were caused by the lack of multi-ethnic play toys nor will they be solved by use of same. What I do find ridiculous is, "staffers must wear clothes that cover their lap..." This has been an issue?

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Colorado daycare center proposal: Dolls must represent at least three different races Empty Re: Colorado daycare center proposal: Dolls must represent at least three different races

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:44 am

I think the other regulations are more ridiculous than the dolls. The dolls I can somewhat get with since I like the idea of where they're going with it, but I ultimately don't think it should be a deal breaker.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:03 pm

I think the whole thing sounds pretty stupid. But that's daycare for you apparently; the foundation of where kids learn NOT to use their brains, and they seem to be getting some great examples for it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:24 pm

The thing that bothers me about the dolls is that there are more than three races. So, I am not sure that is a good idea because a typical city daycare will have Caucasian, Black, Chinese, and Mexican. Around here, add Hmong, Filipino, and Japanese to that. (Plus others, I am sure, just can't think). What a cost for daycares, as I am sure that beyond Caucasian and Black dolls, the others probably get pricier due to the limited manufacturers of them. And if the thought process is to have dolls in clothing representative of their culture/race...well that is just silly because kids NEVER leave clothing on dolls.

As far as the other parts of this proposal, I totally agree. The clothing one sounds weird, but makes sense. I don't think it means that they should wear long smocks or house dresses, but rather not shorts.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:52 pm