CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Shale
Alan Smithee
Chris
7 posters

How prejudiced are your grandparents?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

How prejudiced are your grandparents? Empty How prejudiced are your grandparents?

Post by Chris Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 am

How bigoted or prejudiced are/were your grandparents? My dads parents were products of their generation, but aside from passing cynicism weren't too bad. From what I can remember, there was never any real trouble between them and my mom. My moms parents are a different story; bigots to their dying day.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

How prejudiced are your grandparents? Empty Re: How prejudiced are your grandparents?

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:47 pm

They had prejudices just as everyone else does but they weren't bigots. Nothing rubbed off on me or my brother. After my mother's father passed, my grandmother came to live with us. This was in the early 70s ("Say it loud - I'm black and proud!"). One day she refered to someone as "colored" and I gave her grief about it. Some grandparents today probably get grief for calling someone "black".
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

How prejudiced are your grandparents? Empty Re: How prejudiced are your grandparents?

Post by Shale Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:33 pm

My grandparents were products of the 19th century South and were racially bigoted like the culture from which they came.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:48 pm

My grandparents weren't/aren't bigoted at all.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:32 pm

My maternal grandfather was very racist. He never liked me because I looked too much like a Mexican. And he was very honest about that fact.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:46 am

My grandparents were fairly prejudice. We had a family friend that my grandparents treated like a son. Then he got AIDS and it came out that he was gay--- my grandmother disowned him. After he died, she cried hysterically---too late lady!

My great grandparents were worse. My irish grandmother married an italian man and the family disowned her for marrying a "N-word". Thank god society evolves--- we have a looooong way to go, but we are getting better.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:18 am

My Mom's parents were wonderful, accepting people who taught us not to see colour or differences. My Grandpa was like a gentle giant to me when I was little - caring and accepting of everyone.

My Dad's parents faced a lot of racism while growing up and I think that reflected in how they raised their children - to be proud of who they were and to not let racism be a real part of your life. The way they were treated... they were very careful not to prejudice their children and grandchildren against those of a different ethnicity, because they knew what racism could do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:42 pm