CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
CeCe
Kral
6 posters

How often do you find spelling and grammatical errors in print?

Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

How often do you find spelling and grammatical errors in print? Empty How often do you find spelling and grammatical errors in print?

Post by Kral Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:32 pm

I was just reading a news article on MSNBC and found a noticeable flub that I can't believe wasn't caught before it was published, or edited after. How often do you see misspellings or errors in grammar when reading the news?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

How often do you find spelling and grammatical errors in print? Empty Re: How often do you find spelling and grammatical errors in print?

Post by CeCe Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:53 pm

It's happening more & more lately. When it's people just posting online it's not as much of a big deal but when it's professional journalism there's no excuse.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

How often do you find spelling and grammatical errors in print? Empty Re: How often do you find spelling and grammatical errors in print?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:28 pm

CeCe, I agree that is happening more and more in professional news stories. I am actually seeing it a lot in news stories from local news affiliates. I guess they are so fast to put the printed stories online, they are not even bothering to be thorough.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Kral wrote:I was just reading a news article on MSNBC and found a noticeable flub that I can't believe wasn't caught before it was published, or edited after. How often do you see misspellings or errors in grammar when reading the news?
    Well, first I noticed that you ended the first sentence with a preposition (ie: after). Then I recognized that you had a sentence redundancy (ie: "news article"). And finally I realized that you had the unnecessary word "noticeable" in your sentence. If it wasn't "noticeable" then you wouldn't have found it. big grin

Of course, I'm just being a dick because it's fun. But yes, I tend to notice grammatical errors and spelling all the time when reading the news.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:44 am

It's not just the Web news but actually what is in print. Here there are bilingual ppl who haven't completely mastered English and I have been noticing those errors.

Like a foto caption describing a mouse but said "a mice." (English is a tricky language - just glad I am native to it, would hate to learn it as a second language.)

Others are just mistakes that a proof reader woulda caught but they don't hire proofreaders any more. So like everything else in this shitty economy, get used to poor quality as more cutbacks destroy what commerce is hanging on.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:55 am

captainbryce wrote:
    Kral wrote:I was just reading a news article on MSNBC and found a noticeable flub that I can't believe wasn't caught before it was published, or edited after. How often do you see misspellings or errors in grammar when reading the news?
    Well, first I noticed that you ended the first sentence with a preposition (ie: after). Then I recognized that you had a sentence redundancy (ie: "news article"). And finally I realized that you had the unnecessary word "noticeable" in your sentence. If it wasn't "noticeable" then you wouldn't have found it. big grin

Of course, I'm just being a dick because it's fun. But yes, I tend to notice grammatical errors and spelling all the time when reading the news.

I'll give it to ya'....you were just being a dick. You did find grammatical errors, though, that a lay person would have not spotted. So, kudos on the editor tutorial...but picking at a message board post makes you look a bit like you have too much time on your hands....
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:21 am

I find them every now and then. I think you're right about how sometimes they're too fast to print things out. I love catching news reporters making errors, or bloopers, esp. when the rest of the cast roles with it.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:05 pm

RedBedroom wrote:
    captainbryce wrote:Well, first I noticed that you ended the first sentence with a preposition (ie: after). Then I recognized that you had a sentence redundancy (ie: "news article"). And finally I realized that you had the unnecessary word "noticeable" in your sentence. If it wasn't "noticeable" then you wouldn't have found it. big grin

I'll give it to ya'....you were just being a dick. You did find grammatical errors, though, that a lay person would have not spotted. So, kudos on the editor tutorial...but picking at a message board post makes you look a bit like you have too much time on your hands....
    Relax, I was just having a bit of fun there. It was my tongue-and-cheek way of saying YES to the question. No ill intent was meant by that (in case that wasn't made clear).
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:18 pm

captainbryce wrote:

Petty and not funny.

I was talking about grammatical errors on news articles made by professional journalists and uncaught by editors, not messages posted by random people on an Internet message board.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:30 pm