dangerous exotic pets? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

dangerous exotic pets?

Go down 
+4
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
TSJFan4Ever
wants2laugh
8 posters
AuthorMessage
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

dangerous exotic pets? Empty
PostSubject: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 9:15 pm

there have been incidents of children getting bitten or killed by their parents' exotic pets such as pythons, boas, and tarantulas.

Would you ever consider having a poisonous/dangerous pet? Would it affect your decision if you had children?
If you think it is okay, why?
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 9:22 pm

I would never have an exotic pet in my house. I prefer cats and dogs. Most exotic I'd go is tropical fish and none of the dangerous ones like lion fish.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 9:27 pm

My daughter had a newt when she was younger. We named it Gingrich. It died. That's as exotic as we get.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 1:02 am

Alan Smithee wrote:
My daughter had a newt when she was younger. We named it Gingrich. It died. That's as exotic as we get.

laughing
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 1:02 am

No, I wouldn't. I don't do pets....much less 'exotic' ones.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:01 am

I tend to associate "exotic animal" with "dangerous". The only pets I'd consider having are a dog, cat, fish or bird. Tarantulas, snakes, Llamas etc. etc. are staying at the zoo.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 7:08 pm

I don't believe I have ever entertained the idea of owning an exotic pet. And it's especially a bad idea with a child in the family. Because not all animals are sensitive to a child; in other words, some will attack a baby. So would an attack dog if it's a baby it doesn't "know".

Not worth all the effort into the extra cautionary measures.
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:11 pm

I remember awhile back, there were a couple of stories of people owning huge boas and letting toddlers ride around on them. I actually found myself fighting a gag reflex when it showed the 18 month old sucking on the end of the boa's tail. Seems to me social services intervened until there "pet" was removed. Another time, it took 10 guys to remove a pet boa. The toddler had been riding around on it in the backyard.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Quote :
Another time, it took 10 guys to remove a pet boa. The toddler had been riding around on it in the backyard.

Oh, my word. That is terrible.

No, I would never have any sort of an exotic pet. Remember that horrible story about the chimp taking off that poor lady's face. That breaks my heart.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 2:31 am

yeah, the chimp was on an episode of Fatal Attractions on Animal Planet. There was also an episode of a guy in Delaware who had 7 huge lizards in a one bedroom apartment. One accidentally bit him and he soon died from bacterial infection. Over the weekend, the lizards were hungry and ate half his body! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 2:37 am

When I was younger I used to think about if I got rich, getting a chimpanzee or a couple of baby tigers. But anymore I don't even like having dogs around, the only thing I really like anymore is cats, they're very little trouble.

Though this reminds me of something I've often thought about, when Michael Jackson was alive and he resided at the Neverland ranch and he had his own zoo, I always found it very weird he had HUGE boa constrictors he would carry around his neck, but he was scared of dogs because they bite. What the hell?
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 2:51 am

Quote :
Though this reminds me of something I've often thought about, when Michael Jackson was alive and he resided at the Neverland ranch and he had his own zoo, I always found it very weird he had HUGE boa constrictors he would carry around his neck, but he was scared of dogs because they bite. What the hell?

As much as I love dogs, and don't like snakes, this makes a lot of sense to me. MJ probably had a dog freak him out at some point, and that just stuck. My friend has two boys that are 12 year old twins and the boys have three snakes (not crazy big snakes) and the one twin is deathly afraid of dogs because he saw his brother bitten by one when they were toddlers. So, the twin that wasn't bitten is afraid of dogs, and the other, who was bitten, likes dogs. My dog is four pounds, and that boy will not even come near him.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 2:53 am

wow. amazing how things can affect us so
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 3:04 am

RedBedroom wrote:

As much as I love dogs, and don't like snakes, this makes a lot of sense to me. MJ probably had a dog freak him out at some point, and that just stuck. My friend has two boys that are 12 year old twins and the boys have three snakes (not crazy big snakes) and the one twin is deathly afraid of dogs because he saw his brother bitten by one when they were toddlers. So, the twin that wasn't bitten is afraid of dogs, and the other, who was bitten, likes dogs. My dog is four pounds, and that boy will not even come near him.

It doesn't make sense to me. My mother's been bitten by the 'oh he's nice, he doesnt' bite' dogs all her life, and she still loves dogs that she knows will behave, and still hates snakes with every fiber of her being.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 3:08 am

Supernova wrote:
RedBedroom wrote:

It doesn't make sense to me. My mother's been bitten by the 'oh he's nice, he doesn't' bite' dogs all her life, and she still loves dogs that she knows will behave, and still hates snakes with every fiber of her being.

Well, I have known types like your mom as well....they don't get spooked. Some people do, some don't. It is not about the type of animal or reptile, it is just how we feel about them. Our unexplained differences make life interesting.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 3:12 am

My sis was bitten by a collie when she was 10. She grew up fearing dogs. She has even tried to raise dogs from a puppy, but when the dalmatian got too big, she was terrified so I took it. Then she had a teacup poodle---still terrified by the time it was two yrs old. Some people are just fearful after traumatic incidents.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 3:13 am

wants2laugh wrote:
My sis was bitten by a collie when she was 10. She grew up fearing dogs. She has even tried to raise dogs from a puppy, but when the dalmatian got too big, she was terrified so I took it. Then she had a teacup poodle---still terrified by the time it was two yrs old. Some people are just fearful after traumatic incidents.

And that's odd because I think my mother's whole life for the span of about 40+ years was all just one traumatic incident after another and she's still somehow turned out to be one of the most normal people I've ever known.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dangerous exotic pets?   dangerous exotic pets? Empty

Back to top Go down

dangerous exotic pets?
Page 1 of 1