CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
RedBedroom
wants2laugh
6 posters

Do you volunteer or support any causes/charities?

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Do you volunteer or support any causes/charities? Empty Do you volunteer or support any causes/charities?

Post by wants2laugh Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:37 am

Do you volunteer for, march for, or support and causes or charities?

After my dalmatian died I joined a dalmatian rescue and fostered some abused/neglected dals. I also was a fundraising coordinator for both the rescue and a high school community service organization which supported many charities.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Do you volunteer or support any causes/charities? Empty Re: Do you volunteer or support any causes/charities?

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:48 am

Well, I used to give platelets to the Red Cross. Now, I have opted to just give blood.

My donation money mostly all goes to Rider Down.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Do you volunteer or support any causes/charities? Empty Re: Do you volunteer or support any causes/charities?

Post by wants2laugh Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:53 am

RedBedroom wrote:Well, I used to give platelets to the Red Cross. Now, I have opted to just give blood.

they once did a blood drive at my work, so i figured i would donate. I saw my boss' vein collapse and her whole arm bruised--- that was it for me. Im terrified of needles (guess i should go put that in the fear thread? lol), but i kept saying it was a good cause and I should just do it.

I ran out of there, never went back. So thank you for your contribution! seriously
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:04 am

wants2laugh wrote:
    RedBedroom wrote:Well, I used to give platelets to the Red Cross. Now, I have opted to just give blood.

they once did a blood drive at my work, so i figured i would donate. I saw my boss' vein collapse and her whole arm bruised--- that was it for me. Im terrified of needles (guess i should go put that in the fear thread? lol), but i kept saying it was a good cause and I should just do it.

I ran out of there, never went back. So thank you for your contribution! seriously

Thank you. I despise needles too. I just decided to start donating blood when Mom got sicker when my son was about two. Then they asked me to begin to donate platelets. Well, I don't have good veins, so time after time there were issues. I did platelet donation for well over five years despite it going wrong so many times. Well, finally I got so tired of all the staff not wanting to work with me due to my veins. They treated me like there was some thing wrong with me. They would argue on who "got" me, due to how difficult my veins were. I finally decided to go back to just donating blood because I was already almost in tears because I was so fearful of the needle and how it felt, that I really couldn't take being treated like the only person in the building everyone wanted to stay away from.

I totally understand your issue. The first time I donated platelets, things went so poorly that my arm bruised if my son just tapped it on the inner arm. It was awful.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:11 am

wow. my fear goes back to when i was 12. I was in the hospital and they couldnt get the vein, so went to the other arm. The nurse poked me like 5 times in each arm. Then all of a sudden, the room started turning blue, and it felt like there was oxygen in my skull pushing down on my brain. i began to faint and they used smelling salts.. then i asked how they were going to get the blood out, and this big huge male nurse opened his mouth really wide and said, "i guess we're going to have to suck it out of you". if he were cute and i was ok, that would have been one thing, but he was old and ugly! lol
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:18 am

wants2laugh wrote:wow. my fear goes back to when i was 12. I was in the hospital and they couldnt get the vein, so went to the other arm. The nurse poked me like 5 times in each arm. Then all of a sudden, the room started turning blue, and it felt like there was oxygen in my skull pushing down on my brain. i began to faint and they used smelling salts.. then i asked how they were going to get the blood out, and this big huge male nurse opened his mouth really wide and said, "i guess we're going to have to suck it out of you". if he were cute and i was ok, that would have been one thing, but he was old and ugly! lol

Oh, my word, that is terrible. What a shitty nurse.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:04 am

Not directly, nah.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:07 am

I'vw donated money, given to food and clothing drives. That's about it.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:33 am

Oh wow Red - I'm sorry to hear that it was so tramatic for you. You'd think they'd be grateful!

I've donated blood but not in awhile.

I sponsor children with a coupe of organizations and will acccassionaly donate to other things, like when our firefirghters to their annual boot drive to raise money for Muscular Dystrophy. They ask people to "Fill their boots" with donations. I asked them which poor firefighers were sacrificing their boots for the drive and they laughed said they used old ones that had been "retired". They'll stnad outside the malls and whatnot. I have a friend with severe MD so Ill always give to that cause when the chance comes up, but I don't donate regularily.

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:45 am

its awesome to have so many people that give. I was also really active with the PAL hockey league when my nephews were playing.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:31 am

I do not volunteer but I donate to the local Alzheimers chapters, as well as Meals on Wheels. Also, Oregon Food Bank.

Occasionally donate clothes to a local shelter.

When I retire I may volunteer to do something.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:39 am

Thats great... i have also given to the Alzheimer's foundation in memory of my grandmother who suffered.

My sister was a biker who would always participate in the Toys For Tots bike runs. When she passed several months ago, I started a Toys For Tots fund in her name. I plan on asking my friends/co-workers to make donations in her name, and I will match any contributions.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:36 am