CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Bluesmama
Alan Smithee
Shale
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
8 posters

American Radios (A complaint)

(Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

American Radios (A complaint) Empty American Radios (A complaint)

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:43 pm

It bothers me that American radio will only play music that's in English. Anybody else ever notice this? I mean, I know there are MANY problems with the radio industry in America, but it bothers me the most radio stations will never play anything that doesn't come from the US or the UK. And when it is from the UK, it's never for very long. Adele managed to break through, but I doubt she'll last very long.

Meanwhile, across the pond in Europe, American and English music blows the charts week to week. Jennifer Lopez is #2 in Germany, and there are only two or three German songs that have a billing. What the Hell?

Why is it that radios don't play Italian, German, French, Japanese, Mexican or otherwise?

Why does Britney Spears sell albums in Japan, but Utada Hikaru nothing more than a small cult-following?

Any thoughts on this?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

American Radios (A complaint) Empty Re: American Radios (A complaint)

Post by Shale Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Mainstream American Culture is not cosmopolitan or sophisticated but rather insular and prejudiced against foreigners.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:04 pm

I'd agree with that statement wholeheartedly.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:07 pm

Oh Robbbbbbbb ( Wink ), I don't think I see the point of your complaint. Do I understand you to say that English language songs dominate European air waves so why don't U.S. stations play Italian, German, French, Japanese, Mexican (Spanish?) language music? Why does Britney Spears outsell Utada Hikaru (in Japan?)

My guess would be that like it or not, deserved or not, as much as our government pisses off the rest of the world, the rest of the world still clamors for American culture. At least that's my take on it.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:14 pm

I think the pop culture is the guiltiest of this. While blues stations are far and few inbetween, those few will often play popular blues from other countries (Scandanavian countries are big on blues).

I stopped listening to pop stations about 6 years ago. I'd been grumbling about the music, the format, and the djs themselves for a long time. One morning as I agonized through the infantilism from the djs, I couldn't take it anymore. I turned it off, last time I ever listened to Top 40. Some things are much better left in the past.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:20 pm

American Radio is biased against it's own so why would it play foreign music much? lol Screw the radio! We live in the age of the internet. If you want to hear a song, you play it. Screw the radio. Razz
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:Oh Robbbbbbbb ( Wink ), I don't think I see the point of your complaint. Do I understand you to say that English language songs dominate European air waves so why don't U.S. stations play Italian, German, French, Japanese, Mexican (Spanish?) language music? Why does Britney Spears outsell Utada Hikaru (in Japan?)

My guess would be that like it or not, deserved or not, as much as our government pisses off the rest of the world, the rest of the world still clamors for American culture. At least that's my take on it.

It seems to me that European countries will play music from all walk of life whereas American radio only plays a very particular kind.

Also, I mean, why does Utada Hikaru not get any airplay in America, yet Britney gets tons of play in Japan.

I don't even think that it's because Europe kill for American media. I think it just seems that way because America refuses to let foreign enter the door.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:25 am

I never really thought about it until you brought it up, but my guess would be that americans don't understand the words. 99 Luftballoons was a huge hit here, and some of Falco's was too. Unfortunately, when it came to trying to sing along, the chorus was in english and the rest of the songs were a total mystery. the rest of the world is smarter than us, they speak their native language AND english.

Just my first thoughts
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:31 am

Yeah, but a lot of them don't understand the lyrics when sung.

It takes me a few listens before I can understand German songs, even though I'm fluent. If I like the melody or beat on first listen, lyrics aren't as important, imo.

Same for Japanese music or French music. I don't speak either of those, but I still like the way it sounds.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:54 am

I loved Falcos song about the sinking of the Titanic... awesome dance hit! But still have no clue what he actually said! lol
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:21 am

It's not that America will deliberately refuse to play foreign music.....there just has to be a demand for it. America will play what they like and what catches on . A foreign artist can gave tremendous success here if they could tap into what people like and that is the key.....you have to tap into our palate. Every who knows me know how much I love reggae and I think it should be way more popular here than it is. But its not because Americans don't have the ear for it. They don't understand dialect. They don't get the message. And its unfortunate it really is the BEST music to listen to LIVE.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:45 am

wants2laugh wrote:...99 Luftballoons was a huge hit here, ...

Now that you mention it, I really liked that song.

Also about that time was a very popular Japanese song on the radio. IDK who it was or what it was about. Coulda been a love song or as I joked at the time coulda been selling Toyota lawnmowers but the melody was compelling. In fact it is now in my head and will likely remain there all day.
    Blue Cool
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:51 am

Nystyle709 wrote:It's not that America will deliberately refuse to play foreign music.....there just has to be a demand for it. America will play what they like and what catches on . A foreign artist can gave tremendous success here if they could tap into what people like and that is the key....

I disagree. This didn't work for BoA or Utada Hikaru. Or Kylie Minogue.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:32 pm

Back in the sixties there was a song that was sung in Chinese called "Sukiyaki" that was at the top of the charts, may have even reached number one. There was also a song that was sung in French called "Dominique" that was at the top of the charts and may have been number one. Point of that is they got airplay on an american radio station and soared up the charts. We have about 5 stations here that play all spanish music but nothing that has crossed over on to the American charts. There are no German or Swedish or Asian etc. radio stations here so there must not be a call for the music. This is just a guess, I don't really know why. I know in order to hear any kind of Euro dance music I have to go to a club to hear it, they are never played on the radio unless for some reason the songs are promoted on American radio like Kylie Minogue and Adele for example. Years ago look at all the Euro artists to hit America, Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc. etc. It is a pity because some good music is made overseas. ABBA was fiercely popular in Europe but over here they were mildly popular, even though they scored number one hits over here they were never given the recognition they deserved.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:49 pm

And dont forget the norwegians, A-Ha! and swedish Europe - who's Final Countdown has become a sports anthem across america. But again they both sung in english.

there was just a german group, i dont know the name, but my friends just did a concert tour and followed them from NY thru canada, vegas, and california. so there can be a following. Maybe its ethnocentrism or xenophobia? we just assume we're the best, or too afraid of the competition?

12 girls Band from Japan has been fairly successful here, but i have never heard them play anything original.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:51 am