How do you write? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do you write?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

How do you write? Empty
PostSubject: How do you write?   How do you write? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 4:14 pm

To the writers of the chamber, is there a particular style or a certain way that you write your stories?

I try not to date my stories so a lot of the modern technology that is a part of everyday life for a lot of people is never used and seldom mentioned: no cell phones, no texting, no GPS, no computers, very few video games, etc., which would probably come as a culture shock to a lot of people. But, despite what some will have us believe, there are still a lot of people who DO use landline phones, don't have flat screen TVs, don't have computer systems in their cars, etc.

I don't get people who figure 'well it exists so we MUST put it in the story', which is often the case for movies, books I don't think as much, but it's the same thing in either one: modern technology often cripples the storyline and in some instances is executed so ridiculously in certain scenes that it hurts the credibility. It's like in horror movies, NOW we have cell phones BUT they never work so it's still back to square one, so why not just make it that they didn't have cell phones to begin with?
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

How do you write? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you write?   How do you write? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 4:41 pm

To make it real it has to have a setting. Sherlock Holmes received messages on calling cards delivered by pages. He rode in a carriage and sent messages by telegraph. It was the setting for his period.

Sorta like the sci-fi movie War Games. Landline phone with a external cradle modem. big grin But that was the technology of the time and the only thing that sets that movie apart so much is how quickly everything changed since 1983.

Back to writing, I wrote something about the time of War Games and the whole theme was after an atomic war. Well, seems a couple decades later the thermonuclear threat was replaced by global warming for us destroying ourselves. I rewrote the story for that scenario.
Back to top Go down

How do you write?
Page 1 of 1