CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Chris
Shale
femme fatale
7 posters

Everything is going digital

femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Everything is going digital Empty Everything is going digital

Post by femme fatale Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:00 am

Now book stores are closing down, blockbuster already closed down. Music is mostly downloaded today, now video games are gonna stop putting game manuals in them...you can read them online...how do you feel about everything going digital?

I know I'm gonna miss the fresh smell of a new book, miss the excited feeling about opening a new movie or game. Now we will give a gift card for online instead of watching people open a new book or game.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Everything is going digital Empty Re: Everything is going digital

Post by Shale Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:05 am

Yes, the Matrix we live in is becoming very impersonal.

I have a collection of over 550 DVD's. It is my comfort collection that surrounds my room on shelves like someone who surrounds himself with shelves of books, both becoming a scene of antiquity.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:45 am

On one hand, the digital age makes everything much more convenient. It's more convenient to stream a movie online via Netflix than it is to bother with video stores; it's more convenient to buy a music download from iTunes for your iPod (that holds a thousand songs and you can take with you anywhere) than it is to drive to the record store, buy a CD and then lug it around when you wanna hear it. That's the whole point of technology, to make things more accommodating.

On the other hand, all that convenience, I think is creating a certain amount of apathy. The excitement of having something new is lost when it's just that easy to come by. When I was a kid, there was excitement in the anticipation of your favorite singers new video premiering on MTV the following day at such and such time. There's no excitement in knowing you can just go to YouTube and watch it anytime you want.

So, yes, I think something is lost by the convenience of the digital age.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:38 am

Chris wrote:On one hand, the digital age makes everything much more convenient. It's more convenient to stream a movie online via Netflix than it is to bother with video stores; it's more convenient to buy a music download from iTunes for your iPod (that holds a thousand songs and you can take with you anywhere) than it is to drive to the record store, buy a CD and then lug it around when you wanna hear it. That's the whole point of technology, to make things more accommodating.

On the other hand, all that convenience, I think is creating a certain amount of apathy. The excitement of having something new is lost when it's just that easy to come by. When I was a kid, there was excitement in the anticipation of your favorite singers new video premiering on MTV the following day at such and such time. There's no excitement in knowing you can just go to YouTube and watch it anytime you want.

Everything is going digital 35166 . I'm pretty much a product of the digital age now....but I'm just fortunate to be old enough to remember the simpler times when we didn't have all this shit and life was even better and more enjoyable. I just feel sorry for the new generation.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:10 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
    Chris wrote:On one hand, the digital age makes everything much more convenient. It's more convenient to stream a movie online via Netflix than it is to bother with video stores; it's more convenient to buy a music download from iTunes for your iPod (that holds a thousand songs and you can take with you anywhere) than it is to drive to the record store, buy a CD and then lug it around when you wanna hear it. That's the whole point of technology, to make things more accommodating.

Everything is going digital 35166 . I'm pretty much a product of the digital age now....but I'm just fortunate to be old enough to remember the simpler times when we didn't have all this shit and life was even better and more enjoyable. I just feel sorry for the new generation.

So do I. My daughters generation are missing out on some things, seriously.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:13 pm

clapping Very well said Chris Blue Cool
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Chris wrote:

So do I. My daughters generation are missing out on some things, seriously.

Today's kids are missing out on a LOT of stuff.

As for me, I still buy actual books, I still buy CDs, and given a choice I would much rather see a movie on my TV than on the computer's screen.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:48 pm

cheaps wrote:

clapping Very well said Chris Blue Cool

Thank you cheaps! big grin

Supernova wrote:

Today's kids are missing out on a LOT of stuff.

As for me, I still buy actual books, I still buy CDs, and given a choice I would much rather see a movie on my TV than on the computer's screen.

Yeah, I think I was part of the final generation that got to experience some of the 'old' ways (CDs, snail mail, handwriting, Saturday morning cartoons, etc., etc.) It wasn't until I was in my teens that things began to shift into what they are today.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:01 pm

Chris wrote:

Thank you cheaps! big grin

Yeah, I think I was part of the final generation that got to experience some of the 'old' ways (CDs, snail mail, handwriting, Saturday morning cartoons, etc., etc.) It wasn't until I was in my teens that things began to shift into what they are today.

Same here.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:04 pm

Instant gratification takes too long.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:02 pm