CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Chris
RedBedroom
Supernova
Nystyle709
Jason B.
9 posters

Kids & Toy guns

Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Kids & Toy guns Empty Kids & Toy guns

Post by Jason B. Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:33 pm

What's your take on kids and toy guns and other toy versions of lethal weapons like knives or grenades or swords. You think it's a bad influence and sending the wrong message or just harmless fun?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Kids & Toy guns Empty Re: Kids & Toy guns

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:43 pm

The latter....but I'd be wary about the ones that look totally real. Toy guns, swords, etc should be just that.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:50 pm

This is weird because I was going to ask about the same thing. Or rather I was going to ask what everyone's opinion is on parents who are so opposed to guns that they won't even let their kids have toy guns. My opinion on this is what the hell? Kids have had toy guns for a long time, that never led to anybody shooting anyone else.

And for a long time they did look very realistic, I don't see a problem with that. I DO have a problem with the adults who are so idiotic they have to call the SWAT team out on a 6 year old who brings an orange capped transparent plastic pistol to school (true story). The whole reason they put the stupid orange caps on guns is so you KNOW it's a toy, what the hell is wrong with these people?

My brother and I both had toy guns, we loved them, and he grew up and he collects guns, he knows everything about them, he can tell which is which and what takes what bullets and when and who made what, he's very responsible. My uncle also grew up with toy guns, he had a BB gun, he never killed anybody, he grew up, became a contributing member of society, and he also collects and buys and sells guns, there's no harm in it. However, kids DO need to know the importance of safety when it comes to real guns, but there's a vast difference in that and not allowing your kid to have the toys.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:27 am

I don't mind water guns, but any that look real, my son has never had.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:29 am

How come, Red?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:43 am

Supernova wrote:How come, Red?

I am not a fan of guns...just a personal thing, and I don't know that I am fair or not. I shot a gun one time with a buddy and Mom was present, and fine with me doing it, but something inside me hated (and I don't use that word often) Mom seeing me shoot a gun.

I just don't like guns. So, for my son to have a play pistol or what have you, wasn't an option. They got tossed if he got them as gifts.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:45 am

Super, I should add that my dad is so afraid of guns, but collects them, and had no issue with my son shooting a gun of his with me there. It was innocent, but made me feel physically ill. I just don't like guns. But do respect those that use them for hunting. I just don't think a non-hunter really has business shooting them.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm not so much against kids having toy guns and weapons, but every parent with a child who has toys like that should have a talk with them about the differences between the real and the fake.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:52 pm

I think all kids should be taught the difference between real guns, fake guns, and the consequences of real guns.

Boys don't want to play with barbie dolls... as was stated on boston legal so much, "this country started with the SHOT heard 'round the world". Guns are part of american culture and children should be taught the difference between toys and the real thing.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:31 pm

Cowboys & Indians, Cops & Robbers - games we boys played. Needed toy guns and if we didn't have them we made do with sticks. I think it is the nature of boys to play such games.

Knights were big in our fantasies in the late '40s as well and my dad made me a wooden sword and a shield out of Masonite.

Of course I lived in an earlier age where it was expected that little boys would play such games. Any mother that would object was admonished for raising a sissy.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Dont think there is anything wrong with them BUT I wouldnt give a kid a toy gun if he didnt ask for it. When i was a kid my aunts, uncles & grandparents used to buy me that stuff for xmas even tho i didnt ask for it.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:09 pm

Jason B. wrote:What's your take on kids and toy guns and other toy versions of lethal weapons like knives or grenades or swords. You think it's a bad influence and sending the wrong message or just harmless fun?

I had them all. I haven't killed anyone yet.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:21 am