Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home

Go down 
+4
Marc™
Shale
Chris
Supernova
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home Empty
PostSubject: Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home   Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Sorry, Alan, this is probably a sore spot right now, but it is something I've been wondering about for a while. You often hear about people having their dogs and cats put to sleep when they get to be old and sick, it seems you don't hear much about just letting them die at home...whether one is more humane than the other in that the pain ends earlier, I'm not sure...but if you had a choice, which would you do?

I've said before we had one of each, the first dog had a large tumor on her stomach that ruptured and she had to be put down, the other dog had tumors, they ruptured, he had surgery, he was sick, he was getting to the point he couldn't walk, but we kept him here and he died at home I guess as peacefully as he could. The vet had only been out the day before to look at him and he never suggested putting him to sleep...so I guess it was kind of sudden, but given a choice I'd rather die at home and I think when it's possible, that pets should have that same option.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home   Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 3:59 pm

I had a dog who grew old and in his last year became very ill. His heart was beating erratically, he had a very nasty hack and he ballooned up in size. The vet gave me the option of having him put to sleep, or putting him on medication. Being attached, I chose the latter and it helped. His heart continued beating fasting than it should and his hack sustained, but the water he was retaining drained. It bought us a few more months with him; but eventually his condition began to worsen once more and he had a mild seizure. Later, I took him to the vet again and told them that I thought it was time to go ahead and put him down. They agreed. That was hard.

But no, if they're sick, then I don't think that they should be made to die by inches at home (which is what my dog probably would have done very shortly thereafter if I didn't go ahead and reconcile the truth.) I don't believe in letting animals suffer when there's no hope, and the effects of their illness makes their day to day living akin to torture. It's selfish and inhumane, IMO. I feel the same way about people losing their battles with terminal illnesses as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home   Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Chris wrote:
...I don't believe in letting animals suffer when there's no hope, and the effects of their illness makes their day to day living akin to torture. It's selfish and inhumane, IMO. I feel the same way about people losing their battles with terminal illnesses as well.
This is my belief as well.

I never had a pet put down, but I worked in a vets office and assisted in such. I was amazed at how quickly and effortlessly life left the dogs. My position as a tech was to hold the dogs, It is a hug type hold where one front leg is held up for the doctor to inject. The doc gave the shots then turned to get his stethoscope hanging behind him. The dogs immediately went limp and were dead before he put the stethoscope on to confirm.

We should all pass so serenely. But the law does not allow it in most places.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home   Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 8:34 pm

I say put them down when the situation is untreatable....don't make them suffer to death.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home   Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 11:18 pm

Marc™ wrote:
I say put them down when the situation is untreatable....don't make them suffer to death.
co-signs
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home   Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 1:38 am

I put down three pets. I did so only after pain meds stopped working. I had no choice. I had a friend who waited til the last minute to put her dog down and he died in the backseat of her car on the way to the vet.... no way was that happening to my baby girl!!!! She was going to be on my lap, and she was.
Back to top Go down
Hyacinth Girl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Hyacinth Girl

Female
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home   Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 11:49 am

Unfortunately, you have to make that decision for you pet--they don't just die, they linger, and why prolong their suffering?

You have to ask yourself if you're keeping them alive for them, or for you, based on their quality of life at that point.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home   Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:14 pm

That's true but there's another thing to consider, vets will recommend putting animals to sleep but it's not always for the right reasons and it's not always necessary. I have a friend in Canada who has a cat that the vet recommended putting to sleep because of her anger issues; but they refused and it's made a very nice pet for them.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home   Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 6:59 pm

If I had a severely ill pet, I would put him down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home   Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home Empty

Back to top Go down

Putting animals down vs. letting them die at home
Page 1 of 1