CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
RedBedroom
Alan Smithee
Supernova
wants2laugh
8 posters

How would you feel if your child wanted to enter military?

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

How would you feel if your child wanted to enter military? Empty How would you feel if your child wanted to enter military?

Post by wants2laugh Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:16 pm

When my nephew was 17 he went to the recruiter with his friends to join the Marines and was filling out the forms when my sis called and asked him where he was. Before he knew it she drove up there, pulled him out and said "no way". The 6ft4 recruiter started yelling at my 5ft nothing sister saying that the Marines were going to get him when he turned 18, and he needed to spill blood for the country. We come from a military family: Mom/Dad USAF, Granddads Army, Navy, Marines Uncles Army, Marines... My sister didnt want that for her child.

When the kid turned 21, they made a deal and he joined the Coast Guard. Now one of his 18yr old cousins with an Army vet mom says no, she doesn't want her son even joining the Coast Guard.

My nephew is proud of what he feels is service that he does. He was in Haiti after the quake and pulled children and babies to safety, he has helicoptered elderly out of flooded houses during tropical storms, and rescued stranded boat passengers during hurricaines. In his opinion, he can't understand why anyone would not want to experience that or prevent their child from saving people.

would you support your child's decision to enter the military? Is there a branch you would more readily support than others?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

How would you feel if your child wanted to enter military? Empty Re: How would you feel if your child wanted to enter military?

Post by Supernova Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:21 pm

wants2laugh wrote:When my nephew was 17 he went to the recruiter with his friends to join the Marines and was filling out the forms when my sis called and asked him where he was. Before he knew it she drove up there, pulled him out and said "no way". The 6ft4 recruiter started yelling at my 5ft nothing sister saying that the Marines were going to get him when he turned 18, and he needed to spill blood for the country. We come from a military family: Mom/Dad USAF, Granddads Army, Navy, Marines Uncles Army, Marines... My sister didnt want that for her child.

When the kid turned 21, they made a deal and he joined the Coast Guard. Now one of his 18yr old cousins with an Army vet mom says no, she doesn't want her son even joining the Coast Guard.

My nephew is proud of what he feels is service that he does. He was in Haiti after the quake and pulled children and babies to safety, he has helicoptered elderly out of flooded houses during tropical storms, and rescued stranded boat passengers during hurricaines. In his opinion, he can't understand why anyone would not want to experience that or prevent their child from saving people.

would you support your child's decision to enter the military? Is there a branch you would more readily support than others?

That to me would be a red flag because there's no draft, it has to be a choice, but that sounds like there's a gun to somebody's head somewhere.

My niece is in the corp in college to get a cheaper tuition because her idiotic father was too cheap to pop for a better choice, and it is hell and I can't see why anybody would WANT to join. I know why it's important they do, but I just can't see why anybody would willingly sign up for that kind of life.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

How would you feel if your child wanted to enter military? Empty Re: How would you feel if your child wanted to enter military?

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:14 pm

I wouldn't be crazy about the idea but if she's old enough to enlist without my permission what am I going to do? Disown her? It's not like I'd be ashamed of her, just scared to death for her safety. Whichever branch and specialty would be most likely to keep her out of harms way.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:41 pm

I would support my son, but be very afraid for him.
    gingersnaps
    gingersnaps
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by gingersnaps Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:43 pm

I'd be very worried for them if they were to sign up, but it's not like I could stop them. My cousin's daughter decided she wants to join the Army.I would have to support them. Wasn't too keen on it, but she's wanted to do it for a while.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:53 pm

As long as there is no draft pressuring ppl to join, it is their decision. You can counsel them not to join if you do not agree with that but each young adult has the right to risk.

I would suggest the Air Force but if the person wanted more action then go for Marines.

Yeah, it would worry me for their safety, but what can you do?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:44 am

I'd strongly encourage them to go to college, but if they were hellbent on it, I'd tell them to join the Navy.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:12 am

Honestly, I wouldn't be thrilled about it. I'd prefer my kids go all the way through to school.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:31 am