How Should One Quit Their Job? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How Should One Quit Their Job?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kral
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Kral

Female
Rep : 30

How Should One Quit Their Job? Empty
PostSubject: How Should One Quit Their Job?   How Should One Quit Their Job? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:02 am

I am set to start a new job two weeks from today. As such, I need to resign from my current position. This week.

I wrote my letter yesterday, I'm trying to work up the nerve to fax it to the mother ship.

Problem is, my job offer is still tentative pending a background check, which, at the time of this posting, still has not been completed. They have been working on it for over a week at this point.

My mother thinks I'm being paranoid and should just quit.

I can probably rescind my resignation in the worst case scenario - but then I'd look like a total flake. I could also probably postpone my new job's start date by two weeks; but this new job is like my dream job and I don't wanna wait two more weeks to start! Also, I applied with my availability as ASAP, but I think ASAP assumes two weeks notice.

I can't afford to burn my current bridge.

Anyone have a similar predicament? Useful insights? Advice?
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: How Should One Quit Their Job?   How Should One Quit Their Job? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:26 am

No offense to your mother, but I disagree with her. I don't think you should quit your current position until everything is an absolute 'go,' and this new place is giving you a definitive start date.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: How Should One Quit Their Job?   How Should One Quit Their Job? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:37 am

Congrats on getting your dream job, Kral! As eager as you are to start it, Chris is totally right. If the new place hasn't officially hired you because of the back ground check, and presuming they haven't told you that you must be ready to start by a particular date, you shold wait until everything is official before resigning from your current job. That's my opinion. Even if the background check is just for a criminal record and you know you've never been in trouble with the law, mistakes can happen and they could disqualify you from the job based on false information.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: How Should One Quit Their Job?   How Should One Quit Their Job? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:42 am

Chris wrote:
No offense to your mother, but I disagree with her. I don't think you should quit your current position until everything is an absolute 'go,' and this new place is giving you a definitive start date.

co-signs

Yeah, wait til you've completed the IRS W-4 form.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: How Should One Quit Their Job?   How Should One Quit Their Job? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 9:14 am

Opa Shale wrote:

co-signs

Yeah, wait til you've completed the IRS W-4 form.

I understand your point, Shale, but Kral needs to have already resigned by that point.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: How Should One Quit Their Job?   How Should One Quit Their Job? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:26 am

Postpone the new job's start date. Don't quit until you get a start date for the new job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Should One Quit Their Job?   How Should One Quit Their Job? Empty

Back to top Go down

How Should One Quit Their Job?
Page 1 of 1