CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Empty Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Post by Supernova Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:19 pm

Has anybody here read this book?

I have not and I'd like to go a step further and say I have no plans to. For one thing I'm a firm believer that books pertaining to the characters and settings involved in the Wizard of Oz should be clean and child friendly, that's why L. Frank Baum's series has remained popular for over 100 years, and from there the continuing series by his illustrator, children, grandchildren I believe, and Ruth Plumly Thompson.

And for another thing, this idea that Elphaba (huh?) is the poor picked on girl while Glinda is the popular blonde in what, a witches academy, and that she never really BECOMES the Wicked Witch but is just dropped in the role, and spends the entire book with no meaning in her entire life...you know I really have to wonder what that author was drinking when he came up with this idea, sounds like an elixir to kill good writing to me, but that's just my opinion. Anybody else want to take a crack at this one?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Empty Re: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:36 pm

Supernova wrote:Has anybody here read this book?

I have not and I'd like to go a step further and say I have no plans to. For one thing I'm a firm believer that books pertaining to the characters and settings involved in the Wizard of Oz should be clean and child friendly, that's why L. Frank Baum's series has remained popular for over 100 years, and from there the continuing series by his illustrator, children, grandchildren I believe, and Ruth Plumly Thompson.

And for another thing, this idea that Elphaba (huh?) is the poor picked on girl while Glinda is the popular blonde in what, a witches academy, and that she never really BECOMES the Wicked Witch but is just dropped in the role, and spends the entire book with no meaning in her entire life...you know I really have to wonder what that author was drinking when he came up with this idea, sounds like an elixir to kill good writing to me, but that's just my opinion. Anybody else want to take a crack at this one?

Yeah. I saw the musical and loved it. I think it has a happier ending than the book. I hope they make a movie out of it.
    allison13
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Empty Re: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Post by allison13 Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:01 pm

I read this book a few years ago and you are on the right track about this being on the dark side.It's not for every taste but I enjoyed it.
    I've never seen the musical but its on my list as soon as I can come up with the bucks!I may have to wait for the movie,lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 11:49 am