CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Price gouging during emergencies

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Price gouging during emergencies Empty Price gouging during emergencies

Post by wants2laugh Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:39 am

Do you think it is right for gas stations to raise prices 17 cents a gallon just before a hurricane? How about businesses that draw customers with the clean up? Is it ok to increase prices now that the demand is higher? Or is it just the american way so good for the companies?

For example, I spent the whole day yesterday getting estimates to remove and chop a tree that fell on my house... it's taller than the house, but not large in diameter. The first guy came and said, "$1800, $1500, pay in cash and you don't have to pay the sales tax". The second guy said, "$1500, but others will tell you more" The third said a thousand, and the final guy is doing it for $500. Fully insured/licensed.

They were all quoting with the same equipment, and same number of men. Do you think this is a case of "hey, the guys are just trying to feed their kids during a bad economy so they should try to get as much as they can" or should they be saying "i'll try to cut my customers a break to get more work in this economy"?

I remember as a kid when blizzards/hurricanes etc would hit, companies would give discounts on the labor to help out victims of the storms. It promoted repeat business and trust. it was also just a gesture of general good will toward each other. now it seems like you have to spend a whole day just to find a decent price for one thing. kinda sux
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Price gouging during emergencies Empty Re: Price gouging during emergencies

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:23 am

Nope. Should be illegal. With all the hyping they did for this past hurricane, they made people go out and spend money they didn't have and miss time for work too. To price gouge is like putting the nail in the coffin.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:50 am

The gas stations did it here they raised the prices on thursday before the storm. Yes it should be illegal.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:04 pm

Should absolutely be illegal.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:16 pm

Report them. You can shrug your shoulders and say "what good will that do?" and in some cases maybe nothing but we've had announcements to report price gougers to the state Department of Community Affairs. Actual investigators are said to be answering the phones, not just clerks.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:44 pm

I hope there's a special seat on the karma train for people who do this kind of thing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:50 am