CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Nystyle709
Chris
6 posters

NY Times: Postal Service May Have to Shut Down This Winter

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

NY Times: Postal Service May Have to Shut Down This Winter Empty NY Times: Postal Service May Have to Shut Down This Winter

Post by Chris Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:55 am

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Postal-service-shut-Congress/2011/09/05/id/409766

NY Times: Postal Service May Have to Shut Down This Winter
    Monday, 05 Sep 2011 09:28 AM
    By Newsmax Wires

The U.S. Postal Service may have to shut down this winter unless Congress steps in with emergency action to shore up its finances, according to The New York Times.

“Our situation is extremely serious,” Postmaster General Patrick R. Donahoe told the Times in an interview. “If Congress doesn’t act, we will default.”

The agency is so cash-starved that it will not be able to make a $5.5 billion payment due this month, according to the Times.

The report chronicled cost-cutting measures Donahoe has suggested in recent months to handle the Postal Service’s deficit, which will reach $9.2 billion this fiscal year. Those suggestions include:

* Eliminating Saturday mail delivery
    * Closing up to 3,700 postal outlets
    * Laying off 120,000 workers — nearly one-fifth of the agency’s work force — despite a no-layoffs clause in the unions’ contracts.

The Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee is scheduled to convene a hearing Tuesday on the agency’s predicament on Tuesday.

“The situation is dire,” Thomas R. Carper, the Delaware Democrat who chairs the Senate subcommittee that oversees the Postal Service, told the Times. “If we do nothing, if we don’t react in a smart, appropriate way, the postal service could literally close later this year. That’s not the kind of development we need to inject into a weak, uneven economic recovery.”

The Postal Service’s problems are legion, not the least of which is the Internet age, in which people have flocked to the World Wide Web’s ease of emailing instead of traditional postal mail delivery.

The Times report also cited decades of contractual promises to unionized workers, including no-layoff clauses, for increasing the Postal Service’s costs.

“Labor represents 80 percent of the agency’s expenses, compared with 53 percent at United Parcel Service and 32 percent at FedEx, its two biggest private competitors,” the Times reported. “Postal workers also receive more generous health benefits than most other federal employees.”

Republican Sen. Susan Collins of Maine is among many rural lawmakers who opposes ending Saturday delivery, which the Times reported would trim only 2 percent from the agency’s budget. Ms. Collins, the ranking Republican on the committee overseeing the agency, told the Times that the cutback would be tough on people in small towns who receive prescriptions and newspapers by mail.

“The postmaster general has focused on several approaches that I believe will be counterproductive,” she said. “They risk producing a death spiral where the postal service reduces service and drives away more customers.”

The proposed layoffs have riled the Postal Service’s unions.

“We’re going to fight this and we’re going to fight it hard,” Cliff Guffey, president of the American Postal Workers Union, told the Times. “It’s illegal for them to abrogate our contract.”
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

NY Times: Postal Service May Have to Shut Down This Winter Empty Re: NY Times: Postal Service May Have to Shut Down This Winter

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:50 pm

People need to support them. Seriously. I still receive paper bills and mail things off instead of having everything computerized.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

NY Times: Postal Service May Have to Shut Down This Winter Empty Re: NY Times: Postal Service May Have to Shut Down This Winter

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:25 pm

This really sucks!This really hits home to one of our own big hugz
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:28 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:People need to support them. Seriously. I still receive paper bills and mail things off instead of having everything computerized.

Totally, we do all of our banking through the mail, pay the bills, send pictures to people, mail packages, etc.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:This really sucks!This really hits home to one of our own big hugz

Group Hug!

Love you guys. I work in a plant with about 1200 people and they are saying that about 150 of us are going to get "excessed". That does not mean laid off, but moved to another area possibly 900 miles away. Hope they send me someplace away from floods, earthquakes, and hurricanes! Smile
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:37 pm

wants2laugh wrote:

Group Hug!

Love you guys. I work in a plant with about 1200 people and they are saying that about 150 of us are going to get "excessed". That does not mean laid off, but moved to another area possibly 900 miles away. Hope they send me someplace away from floods, earthquakes, and hurricanes! Smile

Sounds like where I live, laughing
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:39 pm

Yeah... but you live in 130 degree hell! lol
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:09 pm

Some things I can accept the Internet making obsolete, but I'm not ready to part ways with the US Postal service yet. A friend of mine recently remarked that while buying and paying for things online is fast and convenient, it's not accommodating to people who don't have a credit/debit cards.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:18 pm

I often hear people complain about the post office and say "fedex and ups will do it better". What they don't understand is that the post office delivers more in ONE WEEK than BOTH of them combined in ONE YEAR!!!

If you guys really care about the PO, please please please write to your senators, you can do so online. They do not realize the impact that this will have on the small business shipping that I see in my hands every day. Even cutting to 5 day delivery will not save them money because they will still have people like me making sure that it has to get across country.

What people do not realize is that we are not seeking a "bailout" and we do not take ANY tax money. We want the money that we PREPAID for future benefits that the GOVT BORROWED from us!

I whole heartedly believe that they should start charging people $10 or so everytime someone moves. Right now it is a "service" to provide an address change, however when someone moves, it causes chaos thru the system. they should charge the customer for this

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:27 pm