CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Tony Marino
Supernova
RobbieFTW
Chris
8 posters

PG-13 rated horror films

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

PG-13 rated horror films Empty PG-13 rated horror films

Post by Chris Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:49 am

If you're a fan of horror films, how do you feel about those that are rated 'PG-13' (as opposed to 'R?') Does it matter to you? Do you suspect that any horror film rated less than 'R' won't be as worth it?
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

PG-13 rated horror films Empty Re: PG-13 rated horror films

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:10 am

Not a huge horror buff but i cant think of any "scary movie" that was rated below R that i thought was terrifying.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:16 am

People always say if it's PG-13, then it's not going to be a good movie, I don't necessarily agree with this...I'll grant you I can't think of a single horror movie I ever saw with a PG13 rating that was any good, but consider the horror movies that are cut down to a TV-14 rating to show on cable...some stuff is missing but that's not going to take out what's scary, it'll take out what is overly graphic or vulgar, but it's still a good film and still scary. Of course most of the good horror movies were made before there even was a rating system, especially before there was PG-13.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:21 am

Chris wrote:If you're a fan of horror films, how do you feel about those that are rated 'PG-13' (as opposed to 'R?') Does it matter to you? Do you suspect that any horror film rated less than 'R' won't be as worth it?

Yeah sometimes if a horror movie is rated pg13 I think its not worth seeing. I find that most pg13 horror movies are more on the scare tactic rather than the gore tactic as in R rated horror movies.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:26 am

I don't like horror but this whole debate has too many problems. It all depends on what people are looking for in horror movies. If they are looking for gore, guts, sex, and stuff like that, of course PG-13 will be inferior. The other problem is that this mentality has bred PG-13 horror aimed at a younger audience so it's naturally toned down.

I don't see why you can't have a genuinely scary movie without any profanity, sex/nudity (at least in a sexual context), or gore, and still have a scary movie. Many argue that movies can be scarier by shying away from these cheap scare tactics anyway. So PG13 movies can arguably be BETTER horror movies than their R-counterparts. The industry of the day is just trained to produce crap.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:30 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:I don't like horror but this whole debate has too many problems. It all depends on what people are looking for in horror movies. If they are looking for gore, guts, sex, and stuff like that, of course PG-13 will be inferior. The other problem is that this mentality has bred PG-13 horror aimed at a younger audience so it's naturally toned down.

I don't see why you can't have a genuinely scary movie without any profanity, sex/nudity (at least in a sexual context), or gore, and still have a scary movie. Many argue that movies can be scarier by shying away from these cheap scare tactics anyway. So PG13 movies can arguably be BETTER horror movies than their R-counterparts. The industry of the day is just trained to produce crap.

I like a little blood and guts here and there in my horror movies Smile

Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:34 am

I am seeing commercials for a horror movie that's slated to be released soon that is rated PG-13, but the name escapes me. It features 2 little girls talking, I think.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:35 am

^^^^^Sounds like "Dream House." Probably what you are seeing.

Tony Marino wrote:I like a little blood and guts here and there in my horror movies Smile

Then maybe you would like R-rated better. But at the same time, is that TRULY a worthy scare? Anybody can show somebody getting cut up. Many, myself included, feel that more subtle scares actually work better than slasher stuff. The modern horror, IMO, is designed to appeal to gore addicts and less to those seeking a truly unsettling movie watching experience.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:54 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

I like a little blood and guts here and there in my horror movies Smile

And yet you can do that too without necessarily an R rating, I'm still trying to figure out HOW they got a G rating on the Andromeda Strain which had naked men and that scene where they about cut the man's whole hand off and his blood pours out like unraveling ribbons or something.

And consider how far we've come in the way of gore and ratings, anybody see that Puppet Master movie? They had to make the blood green when somebody's fingers were cut off to avoid an X rating, but then look at Hostel, guy gets his finger cut off, blood is naturally blood red, only an R rating, in what, about 15 years' difference?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:57 am

Dream House looks kinda interesting but its PG-13 rating is making me question whether or not it's really worth seeing. So yeah it does make a difference to me.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:06 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:^^^^^Sounds like "Dream House." Probably what you are seeing.

Then maybe you would like R-rated better. But at the same time, is that TRULY a worthy scare? Anybody can show somebody getting cut up. Many, myself included, feel that more subtle scares actually work better than slasher stuff. The modern horror, IMO, is designed to appeal to gore addicts and less to those seeking a truly unsettling movie watching experience.

Don't get me wrong I go see PG rated horror movies its just that I like to see the new creative ways that the writers come up with to carve people up!

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:28 pm

No horror film worth a scare has less than an "R" rating. The PG13-rated "horror" films I've seen were all premature ejaculation basically.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:38 am