CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Bluesmama
CeCe
Cheaps
Alan Smithee
Shale
Chris
10 posters

When you don't hear the words 'Thank you.'

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

When you don't hear the words 'Thank you.' Empty When you don't hear the words 'Thank you.'

Post by Chris Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:58 am

How do you react when someone neglects to say 'thank you' when you help them out, or do something polite? Do you call them on it?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

When you don't hear the words 'Thank you.' Empty Re: When you don't hear the words 'Thank you.'

Post by Shale Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:55 am

Thank You is a voluntary response when given something or a courtesy by another.

If a person does not say 'thank you' just let it pass. They could have been uncultured, rude or just absent minded for the moment.

IT IS RUDE to correct another adult on etiquette. IDK if the 'Emily Posts' will agree with that but it is my opinion that you do not chastise another adult for their lack of manners.

I have been told "you're welcome" because someone moved to the side of a FUCKING PUBLIC SIDEWALK to let me pass and I did not thank them for this expected courtesy. I have been told that by young chit women who could be my granddaugters and missed the caveate of etiquette of respecting the elderly.

So, get smart ass with me for not thanking you for an expected courtesy and I will be polite and say "Whatever." Push it and you will get a "Fuck Off."

(unless ur some large obvious psycho.) blank stare @ you
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

When you don't hear the words 'Thank you.' Empty Re: When you don't hear the words 'Thank you.'

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:30 pm

I generally let it pass.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:37 pm

^^ Yeah, let it pass, no biggie.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:59 pm

Nah. When I do something for someone it's because I wanted to do it for them. "Thank you's" are nice but not required by me.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:04 pm

I am extremely conscious to say "thank you", myself, so it usually does irk me. But I don't let mannerless, self-absorbed people ruin my day, either. I just may not help out again.

And, yes, I thank people for letting me pass them on the sidewalk. They really don't have to, and I get annoyed when clueless people aren't paying attention. Still, they aren't important enough to ruin my day. (Unless I encounter a whole string of them.0
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Bluesmama wrote:...And, yes, I thank people for letting me pass them on the sidewalk. They really don't have to, and I get annoyed when clueless people aren't paying attention. ...

On a public sidewalk it is called 'obstructing' if they block your passage. If they are unaware I do say excuse me when wanting to pass.

And if they aren't Mike Tyson and refuse to move I will elbow my way thru.

They then don't feel obliged to thank me. Blue Cool

Last edited by Opa Shale on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Opa Shale wrote:

On a public sidewalk it is called 'obstructing' if they block your passage. If they are unaware I do say excuse me when wanting to pass.

And if they aren't Mike Tyson and refust to move I will elbow my way thru.

co-signs
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:38 pm

I generally let it go for the most part, but I really do find it annoying. I wish there was a way I could tell beforehand if someone is going to say please or thank you before I do anything. Like for instance: I was in the Chinese restaurant ordering food and there was this chick there in front of me. And she was just getting irate and being impatient with the people behind the counter because she felt she had been waiting on her food too long. Basically she just had a bad attitude and I didn't like it. Anyway, she gets her food, snatched it off the counter with an attitude, and walks out the store. I noticed she left her keys on the counter, so I called out to her and told her she left her keys. She spins back around, snatches her keys off the counter, rolls her eyes like it was MY fault and storms out without saying thank you or even acknowledging me. What a bitch. If I would've known she was going to do that, I would've let her walk out of the restaurant, took those keys off the counter myself and throw them in the fucking trash can.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:57 pm

Opa Shale wrote:

And if they aren't Mike Tyson and refuse to move I will elbow my way thru.

Actually, I had to think this one over some more. If people on the sidewalk notice me and move over before I say anything, then I thank them (for noticing). If I have to say something then it is just "Excuse me" and that's that.

Now, the bicyclists who suddenly zip past me (and, here, they're supposed to be on the street, not the sidewalks) are the ones who make me wish I was Mike Tyson! frustrated
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Bluesmama wrote: ...Now, the bicyclists who suddenly zip past me (and, here, they're supposed to be on the street, not the sidewalks) are the ones who make me wish I was Mike Tyson! frustrated

The other side of that frustration:

DEAF PPL!

There aren't that many hearing impaired ppl around and they usually compensate and are very aware of who's wanting to pass them. I'm talking about all the ppl who plug wires in their ears and can't hear a damn thing.

So, I'm biking behind them saying 'excuse me' then 'EXCUSE ME' and they still don't hear. Finally when I am on them I usually yell as loud as I can 'HEADS UP!' which gets a response, usually one of anger that I scared them into this reality.

The state law here says you need an audible sound device when passing pedestrians on a walkway. It is an old law and they specifically ruled out those cannister horns, but that was before EVERYONE started walking around isolated from the world with their ears plugged up.

Once I actually had to reach over my handlebars and tap a guy on the shoulder - stone deaf to his environment.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Opa Shale wrote:

The other side of that frustration:

DEAF PPL!

There aren't that many hearing impaired ppl around and they usually compensate and are very aware of who's wanting to pass them. I'm talking about all the ppl who plug wires in their ears and can't hear a damn thing.

So, I'm biking behind them saying 'excuse me' then 'EXCUSE ME' and they still don't hear. Finally when I am on them I usually yell as loud as I can 'HEADS UP!' which gets a response, usually one of anger that I scared them into this reality.

The state law here says you need an audible sound device when passing pedestrians on a walkway. It is an old law and they specifically ruled out those cannister horns, but that was before EVERYONE started walking around isolated from the world with their ears plugged up.

Once I actually had to reach over my handlebars and tap a guy on the shoulder - stone deaf to his environment.

Yeah, I hafta' admit that I'm often guilty of it, too. I sometimes walk to music, although I can usually hear the 'excuse me' or 'behind you' from a biker behind me (not good to have the headsets too loud, anyway). I try to stay conscious of sticking to one side of the sidewalk. Seems to help. Where I live, bikers aren't supposed to be on sidewalks. But there are plenty of paths that are just as much for them as for the walkers/runners/skaters, yet you still get people who stroll at a snail's pace, blocking access, without a care in the world.

Uh-oh! Are we getting off-topic?
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:41 am

I belligerently say "You're welcome!"
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:45 am

Sometimes I do, especially if its a stranger.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Marc™ wrote:I belligerently say "You're welcome!"
    Here I usually belligerently to that with a "DE NADA!!"
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Bluesmama wrote:

Yeah, I hafta' admit that I'm often guilty of it, too. I sometimes walk to music, although I can usually hear the 'excuse me' or 'behind you' from a biker behind me (not good to have the headsets too loud, anyway). I try to stay conscious of sticking to one side of the sidewalk. Seems to help. Where I live, bikers aren't supposed to be on sidewalks. But there are plenty of paths that are just as much for them as for the walkers/runners/skaters, yet you still get people who stroll at a snail's pace, blocking access, without a care in the world.

Uh-oh! Are we getting off-topic?

What's frustrating is that people can't just leisurely ride bikes anymore. Here in NYC....these dumb ass bikers really think they can ride in the street with a bunch of cars and trucks and nothing will happen to them. They don't use the bike lanes. They don't obey the traffic laws. I've seen a few run into people. Me and my friend decided to rent some bikes and ride up West Side Hwy one Sunday. Beautiful day....take in the scenery and just have a nice peaceful ride you would think right? Wrong. I was riding at a steady pace and I was on the right side, but it seems like every 10 secs I had a biker yelling behind me to move to the left or the right. I couldn't even enjoy the ride because of the fact that I had to constantly be on alert to stay clear of someone coming up behind me like this was the damn Tour de France. So I couldn't listen to my iPod. And because an idiot decided to cut in front of me to make a turn, I had to brake super hard and super fast and I ended up going over the handle bars and bustin' my ass.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

What's frustrating is that people can't just leisurely ride bikes anymore. Here in NYC....these dumb ass bikers really think they can ride in the street with a bunch of cars and trucks and nothing will happen to them. They don't use the bike lanes. They don't obey the traffic laws. I've seen a few run into people. Me and my friend decided to rent some bikes and ride up West Side Hwy one Sunday. Beautiful day....take in the scenery and just have a nice peaceful ride you would think right? Wrong. I was riding at a steady pace and I was on the right side, but it seems like every 10 secs I had a biker yelling behind me to move to the left or the right. I couldn't even enjoy the ride because of the fact that I had to constantly be on alert to stay clear of someone coming up behind me like this was the damn Tour de France. So I couldn't listen to my iPod. And because an idiot decided to cut in front of me to make a turn, I had to brake super hard and super fast and I ended up going over the handle bars and bustin' my ass.

Tour de France. That’s funny. And so true.
    I spent 2 wks in NYC a few years ago, and was in awe at the aggressiveness of the bikers. The automobile traffic and congestion, I could understand. But the bikers! And I remember spotting one daredevil from Hell that I suspected was a courier service, dodging swiftly in and out of traffic, putting everyone’s lives at stake. He barely missed a woman pushing a baby stroller. And it’s just wrong that someone cannot enjoy a leisurely ride without fearing for her safety from so-called fellow bikers. They give bikers a bad name.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:16 pm

Sometimes I shrug, other times I call them on it. Depends on what it is I did and how I feel at the moment. If it's a kid, I almost always throw in a "What do you say?" That usually reminds them to thank my gesture.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 am