CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

Take Shelter (2011 Best Film)

JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Take Shelter (2011 Best Film) Empty Take Shelter (2011 Best Film)

Post by JWF Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:23 pm

Is the message in "Take Shelter" telling us that there is a thin line between sanity and insanity. Or a balance of each.

The film centers on Curtis (frightful superb Michael Shannon) a man troubled by nightmarish visions over an imminent apocalyptic storm and other fears....coming to his Ohio neighborhood....causing him to build (renovate) a shelter. He has this continuing fear of losing his family, job and himself. Whether real or not, Curtis is demoralized.

Very rarely do we see a performance like with Michael Shannon. His performance is so filtered within---appearing to others as being mostly restrain for most of the film...yet any moment he's ready to erupt.

An eery special effects without it looking CGI trashy.

And another splendid performance form Jessica Chastain, as his thankless wife. This is the fourth film I've seen this year with Ms. Chastain. She is very effective in each.

To some you may feel the pacing is too slow, but I saw it as a means of allowing us (the audience) to experience a man's mind.

Is Curtis who he seems to be? Undoubly, this film leaves you with a sense of doubt, with an ending that is unpredictable.

As of today, this is my best picture of the year, with a performance that should earn Michael Shannon an Oscar. I'm also considering Ms. Chastain in a supporting Oscar. My first 5 star film of 2011. Don't miss it!

A+

Jack

PS: hopefully, someone anyone will see this film and offer insight
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Take Shelter (2011 Best Film) Empty Re: Take Shelter (2011 Best Film)

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:46 am

Shannon certainly has played a wide spectrum of roles.
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by JWF Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:40 am

It's conceivable the actors receivng this years Best Actor and Best Actress Oscars both portray characters who suffer from mental problems

Michael Shannon (Take Shelter) and Elizabeth Olsen (Martha Marcy May Marlene) give...imo....the best two performance I've seen in 2011. It's hard for me to believe there will others that can match their performances.

There have been many films that deal with mental illness. Both of the above are griping films set in the present time, with intelligent shock value. Must see films.

Let's see.

Jack

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:52 am