CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

The Ides of March

JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

The Ides of March  Empty The Ides of March

Post by JWF Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:48 pm

The Ides of March

Dirty politics as usual. How far will a presidential campaign go to win. If you're like me you may have reached the nauseated stage with our system of electing politicians and how they govern. And with how the media twist their lineup to serve their agenda.

George Clooney (writer/director/part-time star) attempts to create a cynical, crafty and cunning disturbing look in the political arena. In this case, during the Ohio primary, with George playing Governor Meyer's from Pennsylvania (democrat, of course) , a presidential hopeful. The usual group of suspects come along.

Ryan Gosling---Press Secretary
    Philip Seymour Hoffman---Campaign Manager
    Paul Giamatti---Republican Contender Campaign Manager
    Marisa Tomei---NY Times Reporter
    Jeffrey Wright----NC Senator and former Candidate
    Evan Rachael Wood---Intern

Whether by intent or not, I suspect Mr. Clooney...with his liberal mind-set....is playing with the audience. In any event, the film plays with issues of the past. A good part of the film deals with a Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky reference. Or a John Edwards mess. It feels passe and should have had a new spin drafted. And perhaps, dealing with more of today's issues.

Too bad, because there is a fine acting cast ensembled. The film had the essentials to be much better. IMO...this is not a top 10 film...and is overrated. Personally, I felt Philip Seymour Hoffman offered the strongest performance. And I still prefer Ryan Gosling in "Drive". In fairness to the film it does pick-up with about 30 minutes from the conclusion, but it had already lost my vote.

B (2 1/2 stars)

Jack

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:44 am