Teachers who don't give out homework. Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Teachers who don't give out homework.

Go down 
+6
Alan Smithee
Supernova
Nystyle709
Shale
Forgiveness Man
Chris
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Teachers who don't give out homework. Empty
PostSubject: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 8:32 am

Would you have a problem with your child having a teacher who never assigned homework? How important do you think homework is?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 9:11 am

Very unimportant on average. Most of the homework I got in grade school was a bunch of stupid made-up work that didn't serve any purpose but to keep me from enjoying life at home.

It's one thing if you gotta read something, or do research for an actual project. But the typical everyday homework, lame.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 9:19 am

Well, since most of my homework was done in study hall, or in a few minutes on the way to school or between classes, I would have no problem getting rid of that bother.

But I was the kid who did extra-credit work in classes that had my interest, like Biology, Art & sometimes English or History. (In Biology I was already getting maximum high grades so extra credit was not even necessary)
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 10:01 am

Yes. All teachers should assign homework.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 10:24 am

I don't think it's too important but you MUST be consistent, I get sick of the teachers here, this day there is no homework, that day there will be, or even if it is it doesn't matter if it's done or not, what the hell?
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 10:56 am

A reasonable amount is appropriate. It helps good teachers gauge if the students understand the material.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 1:55 pm

I think homework is largely useless, obsolete, and ultimately more detrimental than beneficial. I do understand the importance of "out of school" projects like book reports and science projects, but just "homework" for the sake of homework is often a waste of time. Kids are in school 7-8 hours a day already. They can only take so much "learning" before their brain starts to shut down. If a teacher can't teach a topic well enough for the kid to be able to grasp the concept in the time allotted, then the fault lies with them, not the kid. If a student can pass the midterm and final exams without doing homework, then what benefit did the homework provide? None!
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 2:19 pm

captainbryce wrote:
I think homework is largely useless, obsolete, and ultimately more detrimental than beneficial. I do understand the importance of "out of school" projects like book reports and science projects, but just "homework" for the sake of homework is often a waste of time. Kids are in school 7-8 hours a day already. They can only take so much "learning" before their brain starts to shut down. If a teacher can't teach a topic well enough for the kid to be able to grasp the concept in the time allotted, then the fault lies with them, not the kid. If a student can pass the midterm and final exams without doing homework, then what benefit did the homework provide? None!

clapping Well said. That was one large reason homeschooling was a good choice for us, we put in the 8-3 schedule like everyone else, and then we were DONE for the day, no homework, no nothing, and we always got it.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Supernova wrote:

clapping Well said. That was one large reason homeschooling was a good choice for us, we put in the 8-3 schedule like everyone else, and then we were DONE for the day, no homework, no nothing, and we always got it.

How many kids in your home school class?
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 3:58 pm

I can remember when a term paper took me a LOT of hours to finish. Are these even done anymore?

This thread surprised me, because just a few years ago there was a lot of hoopla here in the Portland-Metro area of kids having up to three hours worth of homework regularly. Which I thought was stupid.

It was just me at home, so doing a little homework was more peaceful and less distracting than doing in a classroom. In fact, study hall was usually a failure for me because I couldn't stay on task with all the distractions.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

How many kids in your home school class?

Two.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Supernova wrote:

Two.

Yeah. I wonder how well your teacher would have done with 30+ students that she(?) only had contact with for about 40 min. a day. My initial comment stated "a reasonable" amount of homework. I would agree that some kids are being overloaded but one work sheet of homework per class isn't, make that shouldn't be a problem.
Back to top Go down
AtownPeep
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
AtownPeep

Female
Rep : 39

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 6:42 pm

Rarely is a maybe, never is a problem. It's easy to forget what the teacher was talking about in class, half the time the students are only halfway listening anyway. Homework is important because it forces the students to independently reinforce what they learned. Makes them think and problem solve on their own. A teacher who never gives out homework is doing her students a disservice IMO.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 7:34 pm

AtownPeep wrote:
Rarely is a maybe, never is a problem. It's easy to forget what the teacher was talking about in class, half the time the students are only halfway listening anyway. Homework is important because it forces the students to independently reinforce what they learned. Makes them think and problem solve on their own. A teacher who never gives out homework is doing her students a disservice IMO.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I had to help the 2 neighbor boys with their social studies homework on American Indians because they couldn't find the answers in their textbooks. One of the boys was told if he didn't get the right answers, he would be flunked for the whole class, so he wrote down the right answers, which came straight out of the book, and they STILL said he got it wrong, without bothering to answer how then their textbooks could all be wrong since that's the source of all the answers.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:36 am

Alan Smithee wrote:

Yeah. I wonder how well your teacher would have done with 30+ students that she(?) only had contact with for about 40 min. a day. My initial comment stated "a reasonable" amount of homework. I would agree that some kids are being overloaded but one work sheet of homework per class isn't, make that shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you. I would be skeptical if a teacher didn't assign any homework whatsoever. Nobody's asking them to do a textbook, but refreshing the information you got in class at home isn't a detriment.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:40 am

Supernova wrote:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I had to help the 2 neighbor boys with their social studies homework on American Indians because they couldn't find the answers in their textbooks. One of the boys was told if he didn't get the right answers, he would be flunked for the whole class, so he wrote down the right answers, which came straight out of the book, and they STILL said he got it wrong, without bothering to answer how then their textbooks could all be wrong since that's the source of all the answers.

You just live in a dumb ass school district. If I were you, I'd take it up with one of my senators or something. I'm baffled by half the stuff you say 'supposedly' (keyword) is going on the school districts where you reside....nobody is that fucking incompetent. And I wouldn't doubt that it's exaggerated.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 8:45 pm

I think they should assign homework, but as someone said they need to be consistent. When my son was younger, the years he had a teacher that would once in a while assign homework, was very frustrating. I would forget to ask him if he had any, and he would forget. Not to say it wasn't our responsibility to remember, but as creatures of habit so as soon as I got used to him never having any, a work sheet would pop up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teachers who don't give out homework.   Teachers who don't give out homework. Empty

Back to top Go down

Teachers who don't give out homework.
Page 1 of 1