How important is it for students to be assigned homework? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How important is it for students to be assigned homework?

Go down 
+3
Friendly Veteran
Supernova
Chris
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

How important is it for students to be assigned homework? Empty
PostSubject: How important is it for students to be assigned homework?   How important is it for students to be assigned homework? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 8:34 am

Do you think it's necessary for kids to have homework? Do you think teachers (of subjects like math, english, science) who don't assign homework are flawed, and short-changing their students?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for students to be assigned homework?   How important is it for students to be assigned homework? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 10:47 am

Here it's a 50/50 chance the teachers will even ASSIGN homework, then it doesn't matter if the kids did it wrong, there's no consistency. I'm not an advocate FOR homework, I think it's stupid, that's one big pro to homeschooling NO work after the workday is done, we worked 8-3 like the school, no homework and we still knew as much if not more than the other kids and finished a lot earlier. Now, I'm not against like a 1 page worksheet or a short report on something, but a lot of kids are getting SO much homework they literally work on it from the time school ends, till dinner, then after dinner till bed and they're STILL not done the next morning and have to repeat the cycle 4 more times that week. That is NO way to go about it because that's definitely going to make sure the kids don't get anything out of it.
Back to top Go down
Friendly Veteran
…is a Newbie.
…is a Newbie.
Friendly Veteran

Male
Rep : 10

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for students to be assigned homework?   How important is it for students to be assigned homework? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 12:51 pm

I believe the education of a child is at school and at home. Homework is practice for children on a subject and also research but also for parents to interact with their kids when they help. Parents can see how their kids do research, work, how neat they are, attitudes, etc.

You have a great day.
Friendly Veteran
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for students to be assigned homework?   How important is it for students to be assigned homework? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 1:21 pm

A certain amount of homework is necessary. For example, if a class is reading a certain book, class time is when the subject should be discussed, not the time for the kids to do the reading. A work sheet or two (math - whatever) helps a teacher evaluate if a student understands the material. As Friendly Vet mentioned, it's also the chance for parents to get involved with their kid's eduaction, although sadly, too many don't.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for students to be assigned homework?   How important is it for students to be assigned homework? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 3:26 pm

I think homework is a good idea. It teaches the kids to be responsible for something, it is good to expand what was learned in class and helps the teacher with effort grades.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for students to be assigned homework?   How important is it for students to be assigned homework? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Yes and yes.
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for students to be assigned homework?   How important is it for students to be assigned homework? EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 1:39 am

I think it's important, especially if kids are going on to university or college. ITA that it's a chance for parents to get involved in their child's education but yeah - most don't. I worked with a kid last year whose parents never followed up and bought all of his excuses. He came in this year with his assignment (a timeline of his life ) not done and on the day it was due, told his teacher it was against his religion and his parents backed him up. This is a kid who told me last year that he didn't have a religion - 'we don't do that kind of thing' was how he put it, when the topic came up in one of the classes. What was disturbing was his parents enabling his lie, but that's why this kid has assistants and a behavioural designation. He's extremely low academically because his pouting, whining, tears and tantrums work at home and worked as his elementary school. This kid rarely did his homework and he was all but failing as a result. Only reason he wasn't actually failing is that you're not allowed to give a kid a failing grade on their report card until Grade 9 - stupid rule that allows kids like this who are low to be passed along, with eh work getting harder, and them falling further behind.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for students to be assigned homework?   How important is it for students to be assigned homework? EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 1:52 am

TSJFan4Ever wrote:
I think it's important, especially if kids are going on to university or college. ITA that it's a chance for parents to get involved in their child's education but yeah - most don't. I worked with a kid last year whose parents never followed up and bought all of his excuses. He came in this year with his assignment (a timeline of his life ) not done and on the day it was due, told his teacher it was against his religion and his parents backed him up. This is a kid who told me last year that he didn't have a religion - 'we don't do that kind of thing' was how he put it, when the topic came up in one of the classes. What was disturbing was his parents enabling his lie, but that's why this kid has assistants and a behavioural designation. He's extremely low academically because his pouting, whining, tears and tantrums work at home and worked as his elementary school. This kid rarely did his homework and he was all but failing as a result. Only reason he wasn't actually failing is that you're not allowed to give a kid a failing grade on their report card until Grade 9 - stupid rule that allows kids like this who are low to be passed along, with eh work getting harder, and them falling further behind.

Sounds like a neighbor I had, only I don't think he was smart enough to come up with a lie like that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for students to be assigned homework?   How important is it for students to be assigned homework? Empty

Back to top Go down

How important is it for students to be assigned homework?
Page 1 of 1