"Optional" diversity questionnaires Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Optional" diversity questionnaires

Go down 
+3
Supernova
Shale
femme fatale
7 posters
AuthorMessage
femme fatale
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
femme fatale

Female
Rep : 46

"Optional" diversity questionnaires Empty
PostSubject: "Optional" diversity questionnaires   "Optional" diversity questionnaires EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 11:14 am

On those optional diversity (race) census questions on things like job apps, do you identify or do you choose to not answer?
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: "Optional" diversity questionnaires   "Optional" diversity questionnaires EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 12:47 pm

I usually take the white or Caucasian choice, tho that doesn't explain my close history with black ppl, which sometimes makes me identify more that way.

Sometimes the demographics get skewed because of stuff like that. Like Martinez who lives in the rural south, doesn't know a lick of Espaňol and speaks with a Southern drawl. Is he Hispanic? I knew a German woman who married a local GI named Perez. Used to joke about her being counted in the Hispanic demographics of S. Florida.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: "Optional" diversity questionnaires   "Optional" diversity questionnaires EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 12:48 pm

My neighbor girl got a job application to work as a hired helper to her handicapped niece, and she had to have me help her fill it out, and it asked race, and I thought that was crazy, I called my mom and asked her about it, she said not to answer, and that it must be an old form since they're not (supposed to be) allowed to ask that anymore. I wouldn't, I did enough of that when I was in school.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: "Optional" diversity questionnaires   "Optional" diversity questionnaires EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 1:15 pm

Depends on my mood. I usually answer them. They haven't hindered me one way or the other.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: "Optional" diversity questionnaires   "Optional" diversity questionnaires EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 2:13 pm

femme fatale wrote:
On those optional diversity (race) census questions on things like job apps, do you identify or do you choose to not answer?
It depends on what type of form it is and why I think they are asking. I think its important to answer the general/national census just so that we get accurate representation of our demographics. So on that form I usually answer "negro" or "colored" (because that's what the census still thinks that my people are called). But when it comes to general job application type forms that just want to know your race/ethnicity for the purpose of "diversity" i'll usually either answer "other", check all boxes, or leave it blank.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: "Optional" diversity questionnaires   "Optional" diversity questionnaires EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Affirmative Action may have some bearing on the insistence of the questions.

A few days ago I filled out a form in my doctor's office with the same multiple-question, with a separate column for 'native Hispanic' or 'non-native' Hispanic (I assume to mean illegal). I thought, "WTF??? This is new!"
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: "Optional" diversity questionnaires   "Optional" diversity questionnaires EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 3:55 pm

It depends on what it is and the mood I'm in at the time. Sometimes it feels like a double edge sword. As though if you answer it and check anything other than white, you will be judged or scrutinized...but if you don't answer the question, they'll make assumptions about you just the same.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Optional" diversity questionnaires   "Optional" diversity questionnaires Empty

Back to top Go down

"Optional" diversity questionnaires
Page 1 of 1