CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Nhaiyel
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
7 posters

Landlord finds mentally disabled people locked in basement; 3 arrested

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

News Landlord finds mentally disabled people locked in basement; 3 arrested

Post by Tony Marino Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:42 pm

Philadelphia (CNN) -- At first, a Philadelphia landlord said, he thought one of his tenants was attempting to conceal a dog after finding a dog dish in the basement of his apartment building.

But on a return trip to the basement Saturday, Turgut Gozleveli found something much more sinister: four mentally disabled people held captive, including one man chained to a radiator.

"It was terrible," he said Sunday, adding the people were surrounded by human waste. "I don't know how long they were there."

Three people have been arrested and accused of holding the people captive and stealing their Social Security checks.

Linda Ann Weston, 51; Thomas Gregory, 47; and Eddie Wright, 49, face charges including criminal conspiracy, aggravated assault, kidnapping, criminal trespass, unlawful restraint, and false imprisonment, Philadelphia police said in a statement Sunday.

The alleged victims include a 29-year-old woman and three men, ages 31, 35 and 41, said Philadelphia police Lt. Ray Evers.

All seven -- the three suspects and four alleged victims -- had been traveling together, he said, but did not know for how long. Weston is believed to have been in McLean, Texas, with some or all of the alleged victims. They then traveled to Florida and Philadelphia, Evers said.

Gozleveli, who also serves as the building's janitor, said he was contacted Thursday by the block captain of a neighborhood group regarding suspicious activity. He checked out the basement that day and found a few things out of place, but no people. On Friday, he found the dog dish. On Saturday, after hearing a dog barking, he went to the building's sub-basement and found a door chained shut. He found the people after removing the chains.

"Other than the barking dog there was no sound," he said. "... I said, 'What the hell are you doing here?' No answer, and I called 911."

"This was a total surprise," Gozleveli said. "I never expected to find people. I just expected to find a dog."

The people, he said, "acted like children."

The four were in a room roughly 10 feet by 15 feet, Gozleveli said, and looked malnourished and disheveled. They had a metal bucket and a jug of what appeared to be orange juice, but no food. They also had pillows and blankets, but didn't know where they were or where they had come from, he said.

Authorities believe the four were trapped in the tiny room for up to a week. Evers said they suffered from bed sores and "injuries that are very, very hard to describe."

The alleged victims appeared to be malnourished and were taken to a hospital. They were listed in stable condition Sunday, police said.

The FBI is also investigating.

The northeast Philadelphia building is a former movie theater converted to a seven-unit apartment building.

Police cars were still outside the building Sunday afternoon.

The four people found in the basement were brought out on stretchers, said Danyell Tisdale, the block captain who notified Gozleveli. She said she was concerned about some of the things she'd seen recently, including people being brought in from the back of an SUV with out-of-state plates.

"I hope I did enough," she said. "I called."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/16/justice/pennsylvania-disabled-chained/index.html

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

News Re: Landlord finds mentally disabled people locked in basement; 3 arrested

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:58 pm

People crazy.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:01 pm

I read about this yesterday, what a terrible story. People are simply cruel. The mentally challenged are so vulnerable to predators such as these. Just sad.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:28 pm

I hope those three scumbags are put in cages themselves for a very long time.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:57 pm

What amazes me is how these twisted minds come up with these schemes.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Some people just lack humanity.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:28 pm

This is beyond sick.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:19 pm

What a sad case.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 pm