CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Nystyle709
captainbryce
Forgiveness Man
Shale
CeCe
Chris
10 posters

Chicago high school wants to limit bathroom use to three times in ten weeks.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Chicago high school wants to limit bathroom use to three times in ten weeks. Empty Chicago high school wants to limit bathroom use to three times in ten weeks.

Post by Chris Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:19 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/17/evergreen-park-high-schoo_n_1015664.html

Evergreen Park High School To Penalize 'Excessive' Student Bathroom Use
    First Posted: 10/17/11 12:27 PM ET Updated: 10/17/11 12:27 PM ET

Parents of students at a suburban Chicago high school are concerned about the possible health risks presented by a new policy penalizing students for taking more than three trips to the bathroom per semester.

An optional policy at Evergreen Park High School enforced by some teachers limits students to three bathroom visits during class per semester, after which class time must be made up after school, the Chicago Sun-Times reports. For students who have after-school obligations that would interfere with make-up class time, "holding it" may be their only option.

EPHS Principal Bill Sanderson told NBC Chicago that the policy is to prevent students from using restroom visits as an excuse to miss class, and ensure that students who may miss valuable class time during a bathroom break have a built-in provision to make up the work.

But some parents, including those whose children may have a history of urinary tract infections or other health problems that can increase their need for frequent bathroom trips, are concerned the firm policy doesn't provide enough discretionary flexibility.

One mother, Cathi Diamond, told the Sun-Times she's worried about how this policy could affect her daughter's health.

“There’s no trust of the parents. There’s no trust between teachers and students. There’s no trust the teacher will know when a student genuinely needs to go or when they use the washroom as an excuse to get out of class,” Diamond said. She told the Sun-Times that she acknowledges that there may be some students who use trips to the bathroom to "try to get out of class, but that’s a small group of kids.”

Sanderson told the Associated Press that the five-minute passing periods between the school's four 83-minute classes per day provide an ample opportunity for students "holding it" during class to use the bathroom.

But 15-year-old Dominique Gigliello told the Sun-Times that with a school full of students trying to use the same bathrooms during such a short interval, there's not enough time and students risk being late to class.

Evergreen Park urologist Dr. David Zumerchik told the Sun-Times that waiting to use the bathroom shouldn't cause health problems, but that it's "tough to have a kid hold it if there’s an underlying urinary problem.”

Zumerchik called the policy "silly," and advised students to take the make-up time if they feel the need to use the bathroom more than their three allotted trips.

“You shouldn’t be afraid to go to the bathroom,” he told the Sun-Times.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Chicago high school wants to limit bathroom use to three times in ten weeks. Empty Re: Chicago high school wants to limit bathroom use to three times in ten weeks.

Post by CeCe Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:58 pm

I know kids use the bathroom as an excuse to get out of class but that's going a little overboard.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Chicago high school wants to limit bathroom use to three times in ten weeks. Empty Re: Chicago high school wants to limit bathroom use to three times in ten weeks.

Post by Shale Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:35 pm

I am quite regular - so regular in fact that you might say I have a spastic bowel.

It was hell sitting thru first class having to go every morning. We had no rule about restroom use, but I knew not to ask every day. So I sat there in misery waiting for the bell.

There has to be a more sympathetic way to deal with the malingerers than put that kind of burden on all the students. And, as one said, how are all the students going to use the restroom on a 5 minute class change?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:43 pm

This is inhumane and all around stupid. I think kids should just pee on the floor and make the teacher's clean it up if they won't let them go.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:12 pm

I stopped reading the article halfway through because this suggestion is so ridiculous I can't even take it seriously. Kids have been able to (and should be able to) go to the bathroom when they have to go. You can't regulate when NATURE CALLS! I see no possible good that can come from such ridiculous "regulation" of bathroom usage. If they want to crack down on abuse of the system, they should take things on a case by case basis. They shouldn't be putting in place a blanket policy of 3 bathroom rations for the semester! What if a student is "sick" that day? What if they have an active bladder? There are too many variables to take into consideration in order to have such a policy.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:27 pm

Not very progressive.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:29 pm

i remember in 3rd grade there was a girl forbidden to go to the restroom and told to "hold it". She wet herself and the nun screamed at her, then took her to the convent and put a pair of nun underwear on her until her stepmother got there. The girl was tortured for a long time.

People need to thing before they do things--- these are kids. I know this is a high school and not 3rd grade... but when nature calls, it calls.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:40 pm

wants2laugh wrote:i remember in 3rd grade there was a girl forbidden to go to the restroom and told to "hold it". She wet herself and the nun screamed at her, then took her to the convent and put a pair of nun underwear on her until her stepmother got there. The girl was tortured for a long time.

People need to thing before they do things--- these are kids. I know this is a high school and not 3rd grade... but when nature calls, it calls.

And sometimes with a vengeance.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Why is this a problem all of a sudden?
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:55 pm

This reminds me of middle school when a classmate asked the teacher every five minutes to use the restroom, saying she was going to pee on herself but didn't want to get in trouble by walking out since the teacher kept saying "no"....10 minutes after her last request she finally raised her hand and said, "Mrs. Jones? I peed on myself."

The funny part was, this was a problem half of the students had with this teacher....you had to get on her good side by either not talking during her class or being white eye roll . I wouldn't put it past this girl if she made sure to drink a lot of water before entering her classroom ready to piss on herself on purpose big grin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:42 am