CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+12
Shale
RedBedroom
Jaws
Chris
Tony Marino
Supernova
GrayWolf
Marc™
Jason B.
mindfuck
Nystyle709
CatEyes10736
16 posters

Anyone still rent movies from the video store?

CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Anyone still rent movies from the video store? Empty Anyone still rent movies from the video store?

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:39 am

My parents still do and for some reason that just rings somewhat strange to me. Ever since the world transitioned from VHS to DVD, the concept of renting stopped making sense. I don't know why, maybe it just seems to DVD's are too easy to break. I can't remember the last time I went to the video store.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Anyone still rent movies from the video store? Empty Re: Anyone still rent movies from the video store?

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:08 am

I'm prob. one of the few people who doesn't have a subscription to Netflix so I actually did rent videos from the store. It definitely wasn't a regular occurrence like back in the day, but that's how I buy my DVD's/Blu-ray. If there is movie I haven't seen yet, I will rent it to see if I like it and I'll buy it if it's something that I think I'll watch more than a few times. But I rent from the video store only like two or three times a year though.
    mindfuck
    mindfuck
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Anyone still rent movies from the video store? Empty Re: Anyone still rent movies from the video store?

Post by mindfuck Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:22 am

The concept doesn't make sense because (like music) you can watch movies online or on Demand. The technological age has made the world a lazy, inactive place! We can't be bothered with actively seeking out entertainment anymore. Indie video stores began closing in the late 90s. Chains like Blockbuster will go under in another 20 yrs., I bet.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:09 pm

It's been about six years since I last visited the video store. I'm sure I got a late fee that I never intend on paying. That's probably why I haven't been back in so long.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:48 pm

JB wrote:It's been about six years since I last visited the video store. I'm sure I got a late fee that I never intend on paying. That's probably why I haven't been back in so long.

Sounds like me. It was my overdue fees that killed my trips to the video store.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:58 am

I still rent regualrly from the video store. In fact yesterday I rented The Chosen One from Blockbuster but haven't yet watched it.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:02 am

It was easier when the movies were still VHS tapes, you go in, pick up five of them at a dollar a piece, you're set for the whole week...now, you pay that much for ONE new release for 2 days, and the 'older' ones that where $1 as tapes are $2.50 because they're DVDs, who can afford that?

Since I'm more into older movies, I rent frequently from the library, and whatever they don't have, I work the hell out of their inter library loans, which I find is a better way to go about renting new releases too because 1. it's free and 2. depending on where the movie comes from, you could have it for a month instead of the video stores 2-5 days limit.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:48 am

A lot of the video stores have disappeared around here I think there is one Blockbuster left. I like going to a video store and looking at all the covers of the movies and trying to select one to bring home with me. Shame that Netflix and others have killed this off. I do not have a subscription to Netflix or any other service like it.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:49 am

Nah, not anymore. I pay too much for cable, and all those movie channels, as it is. I can wait until movies land of them.
    Jaws
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 7

Post by Jaws Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:07 am

I don't watch movies, but I'm sick of video games costing almost $10 to rent for a few days. It's ridiculous!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 pm

I have not been to a video store in years. I have no idea how any are around with the awesome, cheap arrival of Red Box. I don't even do Red Box much. I either wait for them on cable, or get them from the library.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:29 am

bump
    Has anyone been to a video store recently?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:02 am

Chris wrote: bump
    Has anyone been to a video store recently?

Not since ours closed several months back. Now the building's up for lease and it's anybody's guess what they'll do with it now.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:46 am

I've never rented a video. I buy them and have a collection right now of 575. There is still one source of used DVD's where I can get used ones for $5.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:50 am

I don't think there even is a store around here anymore. Several Redboxes & a few Blockbuster kiosks.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:10 am

I used to like going to the video store to rent, now they are all gone.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:24 am

We still have a Hastings here, so yea every now and then we rent movies from there. But that is the only store left. We have several Red Box's.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:38 am

The few little video stores that still exist around here today are in such a sad state that I don't much bother anymore because going isn't nearly as fun as it used to be. Their inventory is cut in half and many of the titles just aren't there anymore. The one Blockbuster video I used to go to in this strip mall by my house is now condensed after giving up half their space to another store.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:21 am

Haven't been inside a video store in ages. It's pretty much a dead concept now.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:46 am

I don't think I ever have and it doesn't look like I ever will.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:52 am