'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'

Go down 
+6
Nystyle709
Princess
Supernova
Shale
RedBedroom
Chris
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' Empty
PostSubject: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 7:03 am

Quote :
“There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.”
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Do you agree with this quote?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:35 am

No way. That may be true in many families but not in all. Growing up, I went to church for all the youth group stuff and wished so much my parents would take me Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:01 am

I was raised as a Christian but as soon as I got old enuf to question, in my early teens, I became an Atheist/Agnostic.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:38 am

*Buzzer* Wrong!
Back to top Go down
Princess
…is a Newbie.
…is a Newbie.
Princess

Female
Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 12:03 pm

I completely agree...no one is born a Christian or any other religion.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 12:48 pm

In a way.....yeah. You're not born as a religion.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 1:01 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
In a way.....yeah. You're not born as a religion.

No but being a child expands far past just being born.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 1:05 pm

Princess wrote:
I completely agree...no one is born a Christian or any other religion.
co-signs
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 1:26 pm

The quote does not specifically state right at birth. I think it is more to mean as they are older, they are not truly able to be Christians until adulthood because they don't fully understand what it means to be a Christian.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 1:35 pm

Back to top Go down
Hyacinth Girl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Hyacinth Girl

Female
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 1:35 pm

All religious beliefs no matter what faith, denomination, etc. are an individual choice as to what one wants to believe. To say that there is no such thing as a Christian child is a fallacy--a child can choose to believe as a Christian, or anything else that's out there. I'm sure it will morph and change over time as the child grows and learns new things, and the child may even discard original beliefs in exchange for another/others they find more fitting for whatever point in life they are at, but that's part of life and belief for any of us.

That would be the same as saying there are no Hindu children, only children of Hindu parents, no Jewish children, no Muslim children, etc. Kids are smarter than you think, and they can certainly believe just as adults do, but with that "childlike faith."
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks for posting the video, Alan.

That guy is an idiot. It wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't so adament about it being true for every child.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 1:45 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:
All religious beliefs no matter what faith, denomination, etc. are an individual choice as to what one wants to believe. To say that there is no such thing as a Christian child is a fallacy--a child can choose to believe as a Christian, or anything else that's out there. I'm sure it will morph and change over time as the child grows and learns new things, and the child may even discard original beliefs in exchange for another/others they find more fitting for whatever point in life they are at, but that's part of life and belief for any of us.

That would be the same as saying there are no Hindu children, only children of Hindu parents, no Jewish children, no Muslim children, etc. Kids are smarter than you think, and they can certainly believe just as adults do, but with that "childlike faith."

Pretty much what Dawkins said.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Supernova wrote:

No but being a child expands far past just being born.

Being a child is nothing more than being in your environment. Said child can grow up denouncing their religion.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 2:44 pm

RedBedroom wrote:
Thanks for posting the video, Alan.

That guy is an idiot. It wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't so adament about it being true for every child.

LOL. Well Red, I have enjoyed a couple of his books Shrugs (Oh well…)
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

Being a child is nothing more than being in your environment. Said child can grow up denouncing their religion.

It is true that a child can grow up to denounce his religion. But this guy is saying that it is the case with ALL kids that they are not Christians (Or Muslim or Catholic or whatever). I don't know how anyone can say that children can't have a true life-long connection to their religion from a young age.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 8:16 pm

RedBedroom wrote:
It is true that a child can grow up to denounce his religion. But this guy is saying that it is the case with ALL kids that they are not Christians (Or Muslim or Catholic or whatever). I don't know how anyone can say that children can't have a true life-long connection to their religion from a young age.

What he seemed to be saying is that children, when they get independent thot may pick up for a lifetime their parents' religion, but at 4-years of age (still believing in Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, and Fairy Godmothers) they do not have any religious philosophy other than parroting their parents.

I wouldn't call him an idiot.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Opa Shale wrote:

What he seemed to be saying is that children, when they get independent thot may pick up for a lifetime their parents' religion, but at 4-years of age (still believing in Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, and Fairy Godmothers) they do not have any religious philosophy other than parroting their parents.

I wouldn't call him an idiot.

I didn't catch the part where he mentioned age. Yes, a four year old Christian child is projecting what he has been taught. But often it parlays into something authentic and a kid doesn't have to wait until adulthood for that.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Dawkins IS an idiot. lol Frankly, there's no point to the guy's rant. Well, since there are no atheist children, no agnostic children, no children of any religious belief whatsoever, according to him, then there's really every reason to just ignore this guy and everything he says. There's no Christian children... so? And? What's his point? Who the hell cares? lol The guy's logic is totally absurd, but let's say I did agree with it, then what? Nothing. lol There's no point to his entire argument.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 8:21 pm

Chris wrote:

Do you agree with this quote?
Yes and No. This is too much of a blanket statement for me to just agree with it outright. I understand (in principle) what Dawkins is trying to say, but he's also making a generalization about children. He hasn't defined a specific age range and I certainly do think there are people under the age of 18 who are "Christian" or any other religion by choice. The age of reason differs from person to person as does the level of education and maturity level. Some kid are very advanced and make a conscious decision to either accept or reject certain religious beliefs "as a child". I would say that there is no such thing as a YOUNG Christian child (under the age of 10) because most kids of that age haven't yet reached the ability to reason yet. They are simply following what they are told to do. But if a 15 year old can decide based on his own experiences that religion is bullshit, then that same 15 year old can decide to become a Christian on his own accord.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'   'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' Empty

Back to top Go down

'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'
Page 1 of 1