CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+11
Bluesmama
Forgiveness Man
Cheaps
Tony Marino
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
Shale
FireIce918
Supernova
RedBedroom
Marc™
15 posters

Going to the Cinema vs. Watching Movies At Home

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Going to the Cinema vs. Watching Movies At Home Empty Going to the Cinema vs. Watching Movies At Home

Post by Marc™ Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:05 am

I have an essay to write on this subject....so throw your opinions out of this so I can cheat. Which do you prefer: going to the cinema or watching movies from the comfort of your own home?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Going to the Cinema vs. Watching Movies At Home Empty Re: Going to the Cinema vs. Watching Movies At Home

Post by RedBedroom Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:15 am

I prefer home, only because I am too cheap to pay the prices they charge.

What is the theme of your essay? Pro or con theater viewing?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Going to the Cinema vs. Watching Movies At Home Empty Re: Going to the Cinema vs. Watching Movies At Home

Post by Supernova Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:23 am

At home has a lot of advantages; it's free, or cheap anyway, you can get any kind of snack you want at any time, if it's a video you can pause it for bathroom breaks or any kind of interruptions, you can watch movies dressed for bed, etc. On the other hand, there is NO experience like seeing a movie on the big screen with the real surround sound, and in a dark theater room, since I often go alone, I can just veg out and see the picture while thinking about something else.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:29 am

I like to go to the theater if I can (especially if our $2 theater is showing something good). I like the sociable aspect, and I'm less likely to fall asleep.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:32 am

^ Pretty much what Super said.

They both have their advantages. I have a large DVD collection and I do like seeing movies at home for all the convenient reasons.

However, movies I am interested in I make a point to see in theater, especially those that do require a big screen and sound system to fully appreciate the experience.

To me the $7.50 I pay for a matinee movie is not a huge expense (I do not buy food at the theater which one item can cost more than the ticket) In fact, I often buy the DVD of movies I saw in theater a few months earlier and they cost about $20 if I can't wait a few weeks and pick them up used. (Got Captain America this week for $17 at Target)
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:15 am

RedBedroom wrote:I prefer home, only because I am too cheap to pay the prices they charge.

What is the theme of your essay? Pro or con theater viewing?

Compare and contract the benefits of watching a movie at the theater and watching it at home.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:31 am

I miss those fun writing assignments. I hope you enjoy it.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:57 am

Seeing a movie in the theater
    Pros:
    Surround sound and wide screen. Especially for something like Jurassic Park or Avatar
    A night out
    Cons:
    $
    Standing in line for popular movies
    Having to show up early enough so you get a decent seat
    Having to listen to some jackass shout to the woman on the screen who can't possibly hear him, "Don't go into that house bitch!"
    Having to share an arm rest with a stranger
    If you have to use the rest room you can't pause the movie
    Having to sit through the drivel they show before the movie starts ("Who is MOTSKNAH?")
    Limited choice of overpriced snacks
    Having late comers squeeze their asses past you on their way to their seats
    Going out to a freezing car in February

Seeing a movie at home
    Pros and cons are the inverse of seeing the same movie in a theater
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:05 pm

I like the theater. Better movie experience. Even going during peak hours is an experience.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:10 pm

I enjoy seeing a movie in the theater, can't imagine not seeing movies like Lord of the Rings in the theater. I also enjoy watching movies at home so I guess I like both.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:36 pm

^^ I like both too, just depends on if I really want to see the movie right away.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:05 pm

I prefer home. There is an undeniable thrill to watching a movie at the threater and I do believe the theater is best saved for movies that benefit from big screen presentation. But the theater is too overpriced to be worth it more than as a rare treat. So yeah, I watch movies at home.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:26 pm

I prefer to watch movies at the theater. Don't do it like we used to but still go a few times during winter. It's a good reason to get out of the house.
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:05 pm

I only go to the theater to see a movie when it is one that really needs to be seen on a large screen. Sometimes not even then.

Besides the expense, I am totally fed up with people taking babies and toddlers who cry and fuss during the movie. This is especially when the movie is completely inappropriate for small children. And people who talk on their cell phones. And people who have to discuss what they are watching as if they are in their living rooms.

Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:14 pm

When it's a movie I'm particularly interested to see, then the theater is the only way to go...if it's something that only looks 1/2 interesting, then either or works.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:18 am

I prefer going to the movies over staying at home to watch them. It's just a more memorable experience that way. The movies I've seen that I look back on with memories attached were what I saw at the movies.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:26 am

GrayWolf wrote:I prefer going to the movies over staying at home to watch them. It's just a more memorable experience that way. The movies I've seen that I look back on with memories attached were what I saw at the movies.

co-signs

It's more convenient at home, but more fulfilling at the theater. I think I tend to watch more movies at home now, though. I used to be a bigger cinema buff than I am now, but over the past five to ten years, I have become a bit more apathetic to what's been coming out of Hollywood.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:42 am