Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?

Go down 
+3
Nystyle709
Supernova
Kral
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kral
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Kral

Female
Rep : 30

Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? Empty
PostSubject: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 3:32 pm

The video posted on the judge beating his daughter and how no charges can be brought against him because the 5 year time limit expired got me to wondering. Do you think there should be a longer statute for things like this?
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Definitely. I'd say 10 years for a good start.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 2:02 am

So if you're 27 you gonna wanna lock somebody up for abusing you when you were 17? To answer the question: no. That tape should've been released when she first made it, not 7 years after. There's really no point after that.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 2:23 am

I have to agree with NYStyle. I watched an interview tonight on TV with the girl, and she said they waited until the child support from him had finished. Don't like the sound of this.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 2:38 am

But in general, children are children legally for 18 years so they should have more than just 5 years to be able to seek justice for something somebody did do them.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 2:52 am

"Something" did not sit well with me while watching that interview. For one thing, her mom had a freakish aura about her, which of course could be residual mental abuse from her husband. But I simply did not buy the girl's reasoning. It was probably her mother's idea to wait because she needed the money for child support but 7 years ago was not in the Dark Ages ~ he would have been made accountable then.

I also have trouble classifying the girl as "disabled". They showed clips of her playing the piano with phenomenal talent, she walks fine, and there was nothing noticeably wrong with her communication skills. I have ADD and fibromyalgia but I don't consider myself disabled.

I find this whole particular story just stupid and missing something.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
So if you're 27 you gonna wanna lock somebody up for abusing you when you were 17? To answer the question: no. That tape should've been released when she first made it, not 7 years after. There's really no point after that.
co-signs
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 3:29 pm

But what about an 18 or 20 year old who wants to file charges against somebody that abused them when they were 12?
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Maybe. But there should be good proof that the accuser is still traumatized by it. An 18 or 20 year old today needn't have waited that long. Laws against such abuse have been enforced for a good 20 years or better, and if I was the judge with such a case before me I would need evidence that this person is still feeling results from a beating that occurred 7 years earlier.

Hell, I had a worse beating than this one from my mother when I was about 9 years old when we were in a beach resort town and I disappeared for hours without telling them. But the time I showed up my parents were hysterical and my mother beat me so bad with a belt in her rage and fear that my legs were covered in welts. My relationship with my mother was never good, but no way would I ever consider pressing charges later on ~ I moved on with the years and had good times with Mom as well.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 7:35 pm

Right, but what about in cases where it's not a parent, but a friend of the family or somebody who works with the kid, in cases where they're abused and told 'if you say anything, I'll kill you' or 'your parents', in cases like that it can take them years to speak out about what happened.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 8:49 pm

In a case where the child is threatened, the abuse thickened with other offenses (death threats, menacing) and the abuse is likely ungoing. I couldn't begin to guess the amount of school teachers and coaches in Oregon that have been hit with charges in the last several years, and practically all of the charges were made while the kids were still in school. And in some cases other students that had the same occurrence stepped in, too.

The longer a child waits the harder to prove it unless there are others who suffered the same fate and are willing to step up to the plate.

In this particular case with the judge, the girl knew she did wrong by playing video games ~ she KNEW better! ~ and was set up and ready with the camera before he went in there. He was in the wrong for the level of his rage, but she was in the wrong, too.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 3:08 am

Supernova wrote:
But what about an 18 or 20 year old who wants to file charges against somebody that abused them when they were 12?

LOL, this story is reminiscent of the one posted here a while back about the kids who wanted to sue their mother for being a bad mother because she bought them cards with tomatoes or some shit on them. First of all, any abuse that happened THAT long ago is going to be extremely hard to prove. You don't waste taxpayer's money and time for some shit that happened that long ago (unless you were raped or a murder occurred). If you were getting abused by your parents and you didn't have the guts to speak out then so that the parents could be punished, that's bad, but tough. You can speak out about it, but trying to put them jail after the fact is futile.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 10:07 am

Nystyle709 wrote:

LOL, this story is reminiscent of the one posted here a while back about the kids who wanted to sue their mother for being a bad mother because she bought them cards with tomatoes or some shit on them. First of all, any abuse that happened THAT long ago is going to be extremely hard to prove. You don't waste taxpayer's money and time for some shit that happened that long ago (unless you were raped or a murder occurred). If you were getting abused by your parents and you didn't have the guts to speak out then so that the parents could be punished, that's bad, but tough. You can speak out about it, but trying to put them jail after the fact is futile.
Can you imagine all the now grown brats trying to file "charges" as a vendetta? There has to be some kind of reasonable time frame & limit. And there has to be actual evidence & the longer time passes the less likely that is to happen. I sympathize, believe me. But in fairness to everyone there's got to to be a limit. The courts would be overwhelmed & the possibilities are disturbing.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 4:11 pm

Most defenitley yes.
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 7:47 pm

I don't think so. Five years is plenty of time to go to the police and make a statement IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?   Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should the statute of limitations be raised for child abuse?
Page 1 of 1