Should working women get paid maternity leave? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should working women get paid maternity leave?

Go down 
+2
Hyacinth Girl
Chris
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Should working women get paid maternity leave? Empty
PostSubject: Should working women get paid maternity leave?   Should working women get paid maternity leave? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 10:33 am

Half of women who take a maternity leave from work aren't compensated for it. What's your opinion, do you think women should be paid during their maternity leave?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Hyacinth Girl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Hyacinth Girl

Female
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Should working women get paid maternity leave?   Should working women get paid maternity leave? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:12 am

Depends on how much vacation and sick-leave time you've accrued, just like with any other health related issue that requires a leave of absence time from work. However much you've saved up is what you are/should be allowed to take, thus getting reimbursed for that amount of time. Beyond that, you either go back to work, or lose pay if you haven't enough time in your "bank". At least that's how it is where I work.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Should working women get paid maternity leave?   Should working women get paid maternity leave? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:20 am

Hyacinth Girl wrote:
Depends on how much vacation and sick-leave time you've accrued, just like with any other health related issue that requires a leave of absence time from work. However much you've saved up is what you are/should be allowed to take, thus getting reimbursed for that amount of time. Beyond that, you either go back to work, or lose pay if you haven't enough time in your "bank". At least that's how it is where I work.
co-signs

That is usually how it is and I think that is the legal test. If women got special consideration (compensation while not at work) because of maternity, then men would likely challenge it in court as gender favoritism. The EEOC probably already addresses this.

Maternity leave without pay probably comes under FMLA which allows all workers to take extended time off for family matters.

Last edited by Opa Shale on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Should working women get paid maternity leave?   Should working women get paid maternity leave? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:21 am

co-signs with HG & Shale
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Should working women get paid maternity leave?   Should working women get paid maternity leave? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 1:01 pm

No. If you accrue the time, then use it. If nit, they should at least have a job to go back to.
Back to top Go down
Hyacinth Girl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Hyacinth Girl

Female
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Should working women get paid maternity leave?   Should working women get paid maternity leave? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 1:29 pm

Opa Shale wrote:

co-signs

That is usually how it is and I think that is the legal test. If women got special consideration (compensation while not at work) because of maternity, then men would likely challenge it in court as gender favoritism. The EEOC probably already addresses this.

Maternity leave without pay probably comes under FMLA which allows all workers to take extended time off for family matters.

Even with FMLA, they still get you, because that "time" comes out of a bank for that, too. Again, at least it does where I work. I've done FMLA's for myself for all those surgeries I had, as well as an intermittant one for when my daughter was in the worst part of all her seizure episodes, and it does get subtracted out of the time you've saved up--they just can't penalize you for using it with an FMLA. If you use up all your FMLA time, then it goes into long term disability, but hopefully a maternity leave wouldn't be that drastic!
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Should working women get paid maternity leave?   Should working women get paid maternity leave? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 10:11 pm

If the company offers a percent of wages due to offering disability pay, then they should get it. If not, they should use vacation and eat the rest of the time off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should working women get paid maternity leave?   Should working women get paid maternity leave? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should working women get paid maternity leave?
Page 1 of 1