When religion clashes with technology. Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When religion clashes with technology.

Go down 
+5
Shale
Nystyle709
Forgiveness Man
Supernova
Chris
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

When religion clashes with technology. Empty
PostSubject: When religion clashes with technology.   When religion clashes with technology. EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 9:55 am

Do you think ones religion (or faith) should dictate their willingness to consider technological advances that could benefit them?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: When religion clashes with technology.   When religion clashes with technology. EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 11:08 am

I fail to see how the two could be connected.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: When religion clashes with technology.   When religion clashes with technology. EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 11:15 am

I don't think any of the mainstream religions really have any conflict with technology, other than the fact that technology could pose new temptations/risks/distractions. But intrinsically, I don't see any conflict with any common religion. The Amish? I guess they'd qualify as rejecting technology, but they aren't really too common

But certainly, if one's religion did conflict with these high-tech advances, then I don't think it's somehow wrong for somebody to not really embrace them. If people don't want to embrace technology, they certainly shouldn't have to and it's not as if every technology doesn't come with it's own downsides.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: When religion clashes with technology.   When religion clashes with technology. EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 11:36 am

When religion clashes with technology. 2517814472

If you want to be that anal to not allow technology to help you because of your religious beliefs....then whatever. You deal with the consequences.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: When religion clashes with technology.   When religion clashes with technology. EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:29 pm

You mean like not getting a vaccination because it defies god's will for you to die of a horrendous disease?

Y'know the Puritans refused to use umbrellas for that reason - god intended for the rain to fall on them.

It is their choice, stupid as it is.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: When religion clashes with technology.   When religion clashes with technology. EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 1:15 pm

I certainly don't think so. However, the Amish might disagree. I never understood the whole "technology is the devil" attitude from weird religious people.
Back to top Go down
tmontyb
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
tmontyb

Male
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: When religion clashes with technology.   When religion clashes with technology. EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 2:51 pm

captainbryce wrote:
I certainly don't think so. However, the Amish might disagree. I never understood the whole "technology is the devil" attitude from weird religious people.

The whole Amish thing is one huge contradiction, IMO. I know for fact they ride in cars and use telephones. I honestly don't know how doing that and not using any other technology make things any different.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: When religion clashes with technology.   When religion clashes with technology. EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 2:59 pm

I don't think ALL technology is good, so sometimes I think the Amish are the smart ones. I think technology is way over-rated and unnecessary in spots.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male

PostSubject: Re: When religion clashes with technology.   When religion clashes with technology. EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 11:51 pm

Bluesmama wrote:
I don't think ALL technology is good, so sometimes I think the Amish are the smart ones. I think technology is way over-rated and unnecessary in spots.
Technology is completely unnecessary IF you live in an Amish community, or some other self sustaining way of life seperate from the demands of society. However, for MOST people, technology is essential just to exist in society at large without being left behind. Could you imagine someone living in downtown Atlanta without access to a car, cell phone, air conditioning and indoor plumbing? There is no way they would survive! I mean, you MIGHT be able to make it without a computer, television or microwave oven (although it would be a great strain on your existance), but some things are essential.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: When religion clashes with technology.   When religion clashes with technology. EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 12:04 am

jehovahs witnesses do not believe in blood transfusions because blood is sacred... they would accept synthetic blood as long as there were no blood byproducts in it to begin with. atleast that is how it was explained to me.

and as someone else stated, scientologists would rather die than accept medical assistance. So is it good or bad? i think everyone has the right to believe what they want
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male

PostSubject: Re: When religion clashes with technology.   When religion clashes with technology. EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 12:30 am

wants2laugh wrote:
and as someone else stated, scientologists would rather die than accept medical assistance. So is it good or bad? i think everyone has the right to believe what they want
I don't think that's scientologists who do that. I think you are thinking of "Christian Scientists".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Science
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: When religion clashes with technology.   When religion clashes with technology. EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 12:40 am

captainbryce wrote:
Technology is completely unnecessary IF you live in an Amish community, or some other self sustaining way of life seperate from the demands of society. However, for MOST people, technology is essential just to exist in society at large without being left behind. Could you imagine someone living in downtown Atlanta without access to a car, cell phone, air conditioning and indoor plumbing? There is no way they would survive! I mean, you MIGHT be able to make it without a computer, television or microwave oven (although it would be a great strain on your existance), but some things are essential.

Ah, but in the event of a true national disaster of NO electricity that lingers for an extended period of time, like several months or a year, then Amish will survive much easier because they are more resourceful in a varierty of ways. I don't think it's good for the world to rely on computers for everything. Heck, in the scenario I just mentioned even our cars wouldn't work. My brother's '63 Chevy pickup would.

But while I'm basing things on worst case scenario, hopefully we'll never see it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When religion clashes with technology.   When religion clashes with technology. Empty

Back to top Go down

When religion clashes with technology.
Page 1 of 1