'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?' Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?'

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?' Empty
PostSubject: 'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?'   'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?' EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 12:30 am

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/22/what-does-it-say-that-most-of-the-10-poorest-states-are-republican/

Quote :

'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?' T1larg.soup.kitchen
What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

As the Republican race for the White House heats up, here's something the GOP can't be too comfortable with:

Most of the 10 poorest states in the country are Republican.

Mississippi is the poorest... followed by Arkansas, Tennessee, West Virginia, Louisiana, Montana, South Carolina, Kentucky, Alabama and North Carolina.

And the list doesn't even include Texas, where Rick Perry is governor and one in five people lives in poverty.

In a piece on CNN.com, Roland Martin writes Republicans expect to win all 10 of these states in 2012, although President Obama won North Carolina by a slim margin in 2008 and West Virginia is usually considered a Democratic state.

Martin points out that despite the red-leanings in these states, you don't hear so much from Republicans about poverty.

In fact the word "poor" has barely come up at the GOP debates thus far. The only exceptions were:

– Rick Santorum discussing welfare reform

– Ron Paul suggesting the U.S. get rid of the minimum wage

– and Mitt Romney using the phrase "energy-poor."

Overall, Republicans believe their economic agenda is the best way to get people back to work - and many in the GOP are quick to blame President Obama for the rise in the poverty rate.

But how about addressing the root causes of poverty more directly - especially when millions of people in these so-called red states are suffering.

The Census Bureau reports a record $46.2 million Americans are living below the poverty line - which translates to about $22,000 a year for a family of four.

Minorities are especially hard hit - with 27% of blacks living in poverty and 26% of Hispanics compared to about 10% of whites.

Here’s my question to you: What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

John in Florida Keys:
Jack, I think it means those 10 states have more under-educated, down-and-out and desperate folks who are easily influenced by the republican BS. You know, like I'll make gas $2 a gallon when I'm president or there's no such thing as global warming or let's all pray for rain and the best one, it's ok to default on our debt. Yes, we are fast becoming a third world country. Sanity is slipping away.

Joshua on Facebook:
I hope Democrats hammer this point home over and over again until people finally get it. Even the stupid ones.

Mark:
Obviously, it means that even POOR people have enough sense to vote for traditional values and are opposed to the tax and spend policies of liberals... which by the way, do NOT in any way help them leave their poverty status.

James in San Diego:
It’s a preview of what the entire country will look like if the Republicans get back in control of Congress and the White House.

Sandra:
Jack, 1) Possibly the Republicans don't have the best ideas about how to fix the economy and create jobs and 2) Maybe the poor should start looking around for a candidate who actually supports their needs. Apparently, that trickle down thing isn't even working in the Republican states.

Bill in Pennsylvania:
Jack, Simple. You have to be able to think to see through all the 24/7 hate mongers’ propaganda. There is a good reason Rush Limbaugh has a $400 million contract (yes over $400 million). It’s for the radio propaganda he delivers. He delivers followers, the unthinking "ditto heads". Some of them can actually find the polls.

Ron:
It tells me that the 10 poorest states are also the 10 dumbest states.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
FireIce918
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
FireIce918

Female
Rep : 8

PostSubject: Re: 'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?'   'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?' EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 12:54 am

These states strike me as places where homophobic attitudes are more prevalent. If I had the patience I would do the research, but I'm willing to bet that plays a good part in explaining why they're more likely to vote republican.

There's also the issue of getting minorities to vote in the first place. Perhaps if that number went up, the vote would change.

Either way, the fact that the poorest states are also republican isn't going to stop republicans from ignoring them. Something tells me they're out to fry bigger fish.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: 'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?'   'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?' EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 3:03 am

Because they worry about religion and not about their pockets. Who cares. Let 'em be dumb.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: 'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?'   'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?' EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 3:10 am

Oregon has been right at the top for highest population of people going hungry for many, many years. I assume that's from more people moving in than there were jobs for. And this is a loon-liberal state.

Outside of the Bay Area and LA, California's poverty could really surprise those who are not familiar with the state.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: 'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?'   'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?' EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 1:04 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
Because they worry about religion and not about their pockets. Who cares. Let 'em be dumb.

Yep.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?'   'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?' Empty

Back to top Go down

'What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?'
Page 1 of 1