CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
AtownPeep
Nystyle709
Nhaiyel
Shale
RobbieFTW
Bluesmama
wants2laugh
11 posters

Length of courting before marriage?

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Length of courting before marriage? Empty Length of courting before marriage?

Post by wants2laugh Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 am

How long do you think is an acceptable length of time to court before marriage? How long did u know your partner before you got married?

My mother was in the Air Force in the 50s at a time when women were expected to get married and have kids. She met another Airman and married within 6 wks. She once told me that since it was the first time she ever spent the night with a man, and did not "know him well enough to know he wouldnt try to strangle or kill" her, she slept with a hunting knife under her pillow for quite some time.

My mother always advocates sex only during marriage and how sex has been cheapened by casual flings instead of marriage..... but i often wonder HOW WELL do people know each other before marriage. Maybe she was just horny and needed to get married to have sex LOL
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Length of courting before marriage? Empty Re: Length of courting before marriage?

Post by Bluesmama Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:01 am

Well, I think "length of time" can be a little bit of a crap shoot, but it's definitely a risk when you barge into marriage too quickly. I've known people who married in very quick time and remained married, while others that lived together first ended up divorced (however, living together doesn't count here).

My first husband and I got married two months after we met and it was not good. The very things that attracted me to him in the first place were the same things that made me resent him later.

Marriage without good sex should certainly leave a void, but great sex won't usually hold an otherwise bad marriage together, either.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Length of courting before marriage? Empty Re: Length of courting before marriage?

Post by RobbieFTW Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:52 am

At least a year IMO.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:13 am

Courting?? Edward Cullen ran that down for Bella (and us). How quaint. Maybe lemonade on the porch, while the parents are just inside the house?

Anyhow, I am of the free-luv gen and if you met someone you liked, you likely would share a bed within a week or less. That's how it was with me and Brenda, me and Jim and me and Lorily. Same as the many ppl I shared a bed with no intention of a relationship.

So, no length of courtship, just a bit of a chase and take down.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:07 pm

At LEAST a year and I think even that may be too soon.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:45 pm

Yeah, what she said.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:44 pm

I believe in long courtships and say 2 years. What's the rush? If you getting married its supposed to be forever anyway.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:31 pm

However long it takes to get to know the person you're supposed to be committing to for the rest of your lives. Even then it might not work out but give yourselves a chance.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:15 pm

My husband and I went together a little over a year, seeing each other only on weekends. In the 50's there was (supposedly)no sex before marriage and while it was hard I made him wait. I asked him later what if I had given in would he have married me, he said no, however now he claims he would have. But times have changed and the idea of sex before marriage isn't such a terrible thing.Come June 10 this year we will be married 55 years. So I guess it didn't hurt him to wait for me.I have to say that unless a couple lives together before marriage they can't possibly know that much about each other. All I really knew about my husband was that he was an easy going fellow and nothing like my father.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:23 pm

You shouldn't get married before you're ready for it no matter how long you've been dating. I don't think there's a minimum or maximum time frame.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:28 pm

"and while it was hard I made him wait."

I'm sorry but LMAO!
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:30 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:"and while it was hard I made him wait."

I'm sorry but LMAO!

ROFLMAO!
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Suzi Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:54 pm

I guess I should have said difficult. But he has told me it was hard fairly often.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:56 pm

He likes to announce that type of thing does he? Wink
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Suzi Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Not then, remember that was not a subject discussed a lot in our day.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:39 pm

suzi you are sooo funny!

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:24 am

My wife and I dated a little over a year before we got married.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:55 am