CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Shale
Cheaps
Chris
7 posters

Should the United States officially convert to using the metric system?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should the United States officially convert to using the metric system? Empty Should the United States officially convert to using the metric system?

Post by Chris Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:05 am

The U.S. currently officially uses the Imperial (English) measurement system: pounds, feet, gallons, etc., etc. How would you feel if it officially switched over to the metric system instead?
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Should the United States officially convert to using the metric system? Empty Re: Should the United States officially convert to using the metric system?

Post by Cheaps Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:27 am

How would I feel? Very confused. I'm fine with what we use now.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Should the United States officially convert to using the metric system? Empty Re: Should the United States officially convert to using the metric system?

Post by Shale Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:55 am

Metric is a very logical system and we should switch to it.

The only confusing thing is trying to convert from one to the other, but aside from all the useless math, ppl would be surprised at how quickly you can adapt to metric.

I have lived and travelled in countries on the metric system and you soon learn that half liter is a good sized drink, a quarter kilo is an eatable amount of cheese. Forget about specific numbers and just go with a vague idea of what proportions are usable.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:33 pm

cheaps wrote:How would I feel? Very confused. I'm fine with what we use now.

Basically. I'm used to the setup we got.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:41 pm

Leave it alone, shit. People are already used to it. It's not going to affect anything one way or the other. It's not like gallons and pounds are false or made up measurements.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:14 pm

I use metric all the time at work in the lab, and a mixture of that and our Imperical system in everyday life. I've gotten so that I can jump between the two as easily as a bi-lingual person can switch languages. It's all in what you get used to, but I think a total switchover would meet with a lot of resistance, so a better approach I think, is to keep it and teach metric also to the upcoming generations, so they can work both systems.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:51 pm

I like our system as is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:26 am