CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

The Metric System

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

The Metric System Empty The Metric System

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:43 am

Many of you are probably too young (except for Grandpappy Shale big grin ) but back in the 70s there was a movement to begin converting the U.S. to the metric system. One of the first things done was bottling soft drinks in 2 liter bottles. The U.S. is one of the only countries in the world that still use "customery" units of measuremant instead of the metric system. Would you favor trying again to bring us in step with the rest of the world?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

The Metric System Empty Re: The Metric System

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:27 am

I'm just so used to the current system, I don't see a reason to change it. If they do however, I'd get used to that too. But I think they want to keep it the way it is because of the sticker shock people would face if they switch to metric. You think people are mad about gas prices now....................
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:36 am

I would if they would stop all that confusing conversion crap. Just change it one day and tell everyone to figure out how many kilos or liters they can consume and forget about how many ounces, gallons and pounds it converts to.

I have lived for months in countries using the metric measurements and there were no problems in the marketplace. You soon start thinking in grams and kilos, having no real knowledge of or reason to convert to ounces and pounds. Only technicians need that kind of detail and that is where the problems arise with our insistence on staying with an archaic system of measurement while the rest of the world is on the modern one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:25 am