CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
femme fatale
Kral
Nhaiyel
RedBedroom
Nystyle709
CatEyes10736
Tony Marino
Chris
12 posters

Gaydar.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Gaydar. Empty Gaydar.

Post by Chris Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:14 am

Barring being able to tell people who fit the stereotypical personality (effeminate man/masculine woman), how accurate is your gaydar? Have you ever been able to call someone out who few others could?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Gaydar. Empty Re: Gaydar.

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:35 am

Yep its all in the eye contact. There was this guy at work that everyone presumed was straight. All the ladies had goo goo eyes over him because he is pretty hot looking but I knew they were wasting their time. We had made eye contact several times and I knew the guy was gay. I had told one of my close female co-workers that he was gay and she didn't belive it. We went out one night after work downtown to this gay bar where people go for happy hour and guess who we saw sitting there with some other handsome hunk! Needless to say she trusts my gaydar now.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:46 am

Mine is pretty good. A good friend of my cousins in a gay guy. She knew he was gay, but didn't tell me because she wasn't trying to out him. He wasn't at all girlie in tone or temperament, but after hanging out with the 2 of them for a day I had a sinking suspicion. A couple days later when I talked to my cousin on the phone, I asked her if he was gay. She didn't want to expose him, but since I correctly called it didn't lie about it. Tony is right. It's totally the eyes. He wasn't fem, but many masculine and not so easy to read gay men still have a distant or "vulnerable" quality in their eyes. This guy had it in spades.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Well, most gay people I've been around were obviously gay. I remember pegging my cousin as gay when he was 8 years old. Turns out I was right. I wouldn't say it's spot on, but in my experience....most gay people give themselves away. I dunno, you just get a certain vibe.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:08 pm

I think that mine is pretty good. In HS, I knew that one of our classmates was gay. But she was not out of the closet, I just knew. I only told my best friend what I thought and she thought I was nuts. But, after graduation, she came out, and everyone was so surprised. There are countless other times I knew before the person confirmed it.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:51 am

My gaydar is delayed. I have known a number of guys who may have seemed peculiar, in some way or another, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was about them that put me on notice. This becomes all the more convoluted if I get to know them, and am therefore given other things about their personalities to ponder. It's usually later, after I haven't seen or spoken to them in a while, that all of the sudden it dawns on me that, yeah, dude was a home team player. I had a friend in high school who was flaming, but at the time I did not put two and two together. I just thought he was eccentric. Why his love of Tina Turner (and even going so far as to put on a TT wig and lip sync to one of her songs on stage) did not send up any red flags with me, I don't know.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:34 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:My gaydar is delayed. I have known a number of guys who may have seemed peculiar, in some way or another, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was about them that put me on notice. This becomes all the more convoluted if I get to know them, and am therefore given other things about their personalities to ponder. It's usually later, after I haven't seen or spoken to them in a while, that all of the sudden it dawns on me that, yeah, dude was a home team player. I had a friend in high school who was flaming, but at the time I did not put two and two together. I just thought he was eccentric. Why his love of Tina Turner (and even going so far as to put on a TT wig and lip sync to one of her songs on stage) did not send up any red flags with me, I don't know.

LOL laughing Maybe that just means you're not judgmental.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:58 pm

In my profession, I work with a number of gay men and treat all kinds of people. I can read gay men like the back of a DVD cover aimed at preschoolers.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:32 pm

I don't think mine works very well, I guess because I really don't care if someone is gay. However there was once in a restaurant the young waiter appeared to be absolutely flaming, not that any of the group I was with cared, he talked like a valley girl, waved limp wrists around and minced pretty well too, and was a hell of a good waiter. Turned out he had a wife and 3 kids and I suspect the valley girl speak and all the rest was put on for the benefit of the patrons.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:My gaydar is delayed. I have known a number of guys who may have seemed peculiar, in some way or another, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was about them that put me on notice...

Hey, old thread but what the hell, I missed it first time around.

Nhaiyel, that is charming how naive you were (are). But, I too have missed it big time. Had this co-worker that I never considered to be gay. I was involved in some projects with him and his obviously gay friends (This is Miami - every other guy seems to be gay here) but never had a clue. My wife worked with him more than me and she never clued me either. Anyhow, cutting to the chase, years later we ended up in bed.

Suzi wrote:... Turned out he had a wife and 3 kids ...

Don't let that throw ya. The first homo experience I ever had was with a married guy with kids. I was young & drunk at a staff party. He drove my car and me to his house. It didn't register as strange that his wife would take the guest bedroom and I would share a bed with him. A rude awakening that night. blank stare @ you
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:16 pm

I have lousy gaydar Was in a hotel in vegas waiting for my bf, sat at the bar and was playing video poker at the same time. This woman came and sat next to me. We talked for quite a while, and eventually she said, "I have a room upstairs". I totally missed this and said, "Yeah? Im staying here too... the rooms are great aren't they?" lol

What is weird is that now that i am an adult, I have found several of my high school bfs are gay and one got a sex change. THAT really made me self conscious. Eventually i did ask one of the guys why he went with me if he had been questioning his sexuality. He told me that his teen years were of utter confusion and insecurity. He said that he felt really comfortable with me and felt really accepted by me, even if neither of us knew he was gay. That was a nice compliment! Smile
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Mine used to be excellent, maybe because I used to have a lot of male gay friends.

Now, there is a guy in my office that I feel kinda' sorry for because everyone suspects he is gay (he has the "sissified" manner of speech), but I strongly feel he is not. I'd be willing to bet he isn't.

But I really misjudged a childhood friend of mine. We became friends when we were 13. He was eccentric but people suspected he was gay, including myself. Fast-forward a few decades when I contacted him again and it ended up in shambles, because I learned that he had loved me when we were kids, and he was in love with me again. It was just horrible, and so I decided to not contact him anymore.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:33 pm