CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Bluesmama
Marc™
Alan Smithee
Supernova
8 posters

Eating cabbage and black eyed peas on New Year's Day

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Eating cabbage and black eyed peas on New Year's Day Empty Eating cabbage and black eyed peas on New Year's Day

Post by Supernova Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:25 pm

Does anybody do this? Who the hell's tradition is this? From what part of the world? My father does this every year but we do not because we can't stand the damn stuff, but exactly who started this tradition?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Eating cabbage and black eyed peas on New Year's Day Empty Re: Eating cabbage and black eyed peas on New Year's Day

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:12 pm

Supernova wrote:Does anybody do this? Who the hell's tradition is this? From what part of the world? My father does this every year but we do not because we can't stand the damn stuff, but exactly who started this tradition?

Friendly word of advice. If he tells you to pull his finger...DON'T!
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Eating cabbage and black eyed peas on New Year's Day Empty Re: Eating cabbage and black eyed peas on New Year's Day

Post by Marc™ Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Nah....that's not anything we do this way....
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:24 pm

Never heard of it. I like black-eyed peas but what's with the cabbage? Part of the dish?
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:42 pm

Never heard of this, and no I've never done it.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:44 pm

never heard of it... cabbage can be a traditional irish tradition... is he irish?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:21 pm

wants2laugh wrote:never heard of it... cabbage can be a traditional irish tradition... is he irish?

Ha, ha, no
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:22 pm

Yes, my aunts still do...and so does my mother....sometimes. It's a Southern thing.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:31 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:Yes, my aunts still do...and so does my mother....sometimes. It's a Southern thing.
    Yeah, sometimes it includes collard greens & ham hocks. I generally pass on it. They all have a meaning. If I remember right the greens are for money/wealth, the black-eye peas I think are for luck. Not sure about the ham hocks.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:59 pm

CeCe wrote:
    Yeah, sometimes it includes collard greens & ham hocks. I generally pass on it. They all have a meaning. If I remember right the greens are for money/wealth, the black-eye peas I think are for luck. Not sure about the ham hocks.

That would explain it because he came from the south. His mother does it too.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:48 pm

CeCe wrote:

Collard greens are for wealth and the black eyed peas are for luck. The hamhocks are just what Southern folks use to season their greens....doesn't have a special meaning. My people use collards instead of cabbage.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

Collard greens are for wealth and the black eyed peas are for luck. The hamhocks are just what Southern folks use to season their greens....doesn't have a special meaning. My people use collards instead of cabbage.

Ahh ok. I couldn't remember about that one but that makes sense. I've only heard of collards for new years. Cabbage is a new one for me. I've done cabbage on St Patrick's Day with the corned beef but don't do the New Years thing at all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:40 am