CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Movie novelizations

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Movie novelizations Empty Movie novelizations

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:01 pm

Which ones have you read and which ones do you have and which ones are you looking for?

Read:
    Footloose
    Ferris Bueller's Day off
    Pump up the Volume
    Twilight Zone: the movie
    Scarface
    Ghostbusters
    Ghostbusters 2
    Nightmare on Elm Street 1-5
    Batman
    The Blob

Have:
    Gremlins 2: The New Batch
    WarGames
    Batman Returns
    Batman Forever
    Batman and Robin

Looking for:
    Gremlins
    Fright Night
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Movie novelizations Empty Re: Movie novelizations

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:03 pm

Novels based on movies? I don't think I've read any since I was a kid and they were for kiddy movies. (As some can probably tell, I am not the most avid of book readers)
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:43 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:(As some can probably tell, I am not the most avid of book readers)

And yet you're the only one who's responded to any of the posts in this forum...what's that say?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Supernova wrote:

And yet you're the only one who's responded to any of the posts in this forum...what's that say?
    It says that despite not being all that avid of a reader, I'm an aspiring(if somewhat unconfident) writer who still likes talking about various kinds of fiction. Wink big grin
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:35 am

I have another one to add to the list: as an early Christmas present I got the novelization of The Goonies, one of the books that promises (as obvious by the reviews left for it on Amazon) to be more satisfying than the movie, and The Goonies is a movie you'd never think that was possible.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:11 pm

Supernova wrote:

That this chamber is boring and most people aren't interested.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:33 pm

Supernova wrote:Which ones have you read and which ones do you have and which ones are you looking for?

Read:
    Footloose
    Ferris Bueller's Day off
    Pump up the Volume
    Twilight Zone: the movie
    Scarface
    Ghostbusters
    Ghostbusters 2
    Nightmare on Elm Street 1-5
    Batman
    The Blob

Have:
    Gremlins 2: The New Batch
    WarGames
    Batman Returns
    Batman Forever
    Batman and Robin

Looking for:
    Gremlins
    Fright Night

The closest I've come to that was 2001: A Space Odessy but that doesn't count in my book. Honestly, I'd rather read the book the movie was based on than see the movie the book was based on.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:40 pm

alan smithee wrote:
    The closest I've come to that was 2001: A Space Odessy but that doesn't count in my book. Honestly, I'd rather read the book the movie was based on than see the movie the book was based on.

Uh... confused 2001: A Space Odessy IS the book the movie was based on.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Supernova wrote:
    alan smithee wrote:

Uh... confused 2001: A Space Odessy IS the book the movie was based on.

I don't take Wikipedia as gospel but in this case it's close enough:

Parallel development of film and novelization
    The collaborators originally planned to develop a novel first, free of the constraints of a normal script, and then to write the screenplay; they envisaged that the final writing credits would be "Screenplay by Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke, based on a novel by Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick", to reflect their preeminence in their respective fields. In practice, however, the cinematic ideas required for the screenplay developed parallel to the novel, with cross-fertilization between the two. In the end, the screenplay credits were shared while the novel, released shortly after the film, was attributed to Clarke alone, but Clarke wrote later that "the nearest approximation to the complicated truth" is that the screenplay should be credited to "Kubrick and Clarke" and the novel to "Clarke and Kubrick".

So no. One wasn't based on the other.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:19 pm

And to think that book got so many sequels to it. Exactly HOW many followups to 2001 were there? There's 2010 and then what, 2031 or something? But for the life of me, I can't figure out why, I haven't read the book yet but I didn't think much of the movie, I've rented it about 6 or 8 times and I still haven't made it halfway through it yet.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:39 pm

6 or 8 times? As W.C. Fields is quoted "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it." I'm not calling you a fool but maybe you might want to consider spending your money on something else Wink Don't worry. You're not alone. By Roger ebert:

I attended the Los Angeles premiere of the film, in 1968, at the Pantages Theater. It is impossible to describe the anticipation in the audience adequately. Kubrick had been working on the film in secrecy for some years, in collaboration, the audience knew, with author Arthur C. Clarke, special-effects expert Douglas Trumbull and consultants who advised him on the specific details of his imaginary future--everything from space station design to corporate logos. Fearing to fly and facing a deadline, Kubrick had sailed from England on the Queen Elizabeth, doing the editing while on board, and had continued to edit the film during a cross-country train journey. Now it finally was ready to be seen.

To describe that first screening as a disaster would be wrong, for many of those who remained until the end knew they had seen one of the greatest films ever made. But not everyone remained. Rock Hudson stalked down the aisle, complaining, ``Will someone tell me what the hell this is about?'' There were many other walkouts, and some restlessness at the film's slow pace (Kubrick immediately cut about 17 minutes, including a pod sequence that essentially repeated another one).

Also this from IMBd..
    In the premier screening of the film, 241 people walked out of the theater, including Rock Hudson who said "Will someone tell me what the hell this is about?" Arthur C. Clarke once said, "If you understand '2001' completely, we failed. We wanted to raise far more questions than we answered."
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:13 am

alan smithee wrote:6 or 8 times? As W.C. Fields is quoted "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it." I'm not calling you a fool but maybe you might want to consider spending your money on something else Wink

LMAO! I never spend money on a rental I don't intend to watch, besides the movie store doesn't have 2001, in this town, only the library does, which is a better deal anyway because there you can rent movies longer for free and you can get them renewed for an extra week.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:10 am

OK, glad to hear you're not throwing your money away but the video store in your town doesn't carry 2001? Wowser. Any Rock Hudson movies? Wink
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:53 am

No, they consider old movies to be bad for business...I think they might have 5 movies made before the 80s and most of their movies have come out in the last 15 or 20 years.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:16 am

A couple more for this section, both based on Jim Henson movies from the 80's and both written by A.C.H. Smith:

Labyrinth (very hard to find and very expensive, but very good)

and

The Dark Crystal (the movie may be aimed for kids but the book is not, you need a dictionary to know half of the words on each page. I finished this one today finally, thank God, half a dozen times I wanted to give up and send it back to where it came from.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:49 am

I got another one to add to my read list: I have finished the novelization of Gremlins (Wow! Good book, for the most part very true to what happened in the movie, but then there are other parts that were changed around, some good, some not so good, but still a good read) and am now reading through Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:24 pm